Chirostenotes Dinosaur Rib

The Speeding Carno

Hello,

I was digging through a dealer's website when I found this rib labeled as a probable Chirostenotes. It was found in the Hell Creek Formation in Buffalo, South Dakota. Is it real? Is it truly a Chirostenotes/Anzu?

IMG_0932.JPG.6dc52ee3c24cf356aed6bf5d049b29fa.JPGIMG_0931.JPG.fb92a9607d0b3283c119dd92382f997c.JPG

Not much curvature, are you sure it's not just rusted metal?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Troodon, jpc,hxmendoza and LordTrilobite perhaps may also be able to help. 

This rib bone is in poor condition, so unfortunately I do not see how to provide a good or approximate ID... But even with natural crushing of sediments and the distortion that the fossil suffers in the course of geological time, it seems to me that it is too bulky to be a Chirostenotes rib bone.

In fact, to be quite frank, this does not even look like a fossil :blink:!

Below I have put an in link to a scientific article that can be of great help in comparisons and understanding about this topic.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260949958_A_new_large-bodied_oviraptorosaurian_theropod_dinosaur_from_the_latest_Cretaceous_of_western_North_America

7014488602.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

11 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Not much curvature, are you sure it's not just rusted metal?

That's what I was concerned about...

7 hours ago, The Speeding Carno said:

That's what I was concerned about...

Have you bought it already? If not I'd pass it over, to suspicious. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

48 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Have you bought it already? If not I'd pass it over, to suspicious. 

No I haven't, I try to get the fossil verified before purchasing it

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

I have no idea. A lot more images from different angles including close up all with a scale. I've brightened up the images, not that well ason an iPhone. 

IMG_6327.JPG.07703dd33ac2f6784330451b54a84d6f.JPGIMG_6328.JPG.66d668ea884be644d262296d113ba66b.JPG

I emailed the dealer and he said that these were likely the best pictures I'll get.

@hxmendoza

@LordTrilobite

@Troodon

Do you guys have anything to say on the matter?

The area with the bend looks dubious to me. And the photos are not very good. I'd steer clear of this.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

For starters, a scale bar is needed. Can't really tell what genus its from. It has some similarities to Anzu ribs, but it's so poorly preserved, who's to really say what it is. Could be Oviraptorosaur, could be a large dromaeosaur. it could very likely even be a posterior Struthiomimus rib. Can't tell if there is depositional distortion, or to what degree. I'd stay away from it. And I agree with  @Troodon regarding the source...

• I found this Informative 1