Venice Beach finds 9/6/17 need a little help with id

JustinFL

Went to Venice for a bit this afternoon assuming we won't have beach days with Irma headed our way. I had some nice finds and a beach almost all to my self. Two thing I'm unsure of, one I'm assuming is part of a turtle shell, the other I'm unsure of. 

Thanks for any help

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

Congratulations on some great finds.  I am amazed on the variety.  I agree on turtle shell although it is more likely land tortoise.

The unknown it a broken mammoth tooth plate..

MammothPlate.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Amazing haul!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks for the help I never would have guessed a tooth plate. I was pretty impressed with that piece of tortoise shell as well, thank you.

I will be making a trip back out as soon as hurricane Irma passes and conditions become safer again. I will update with photos. 

Yeah, I was anticipating that fossil hunting would be "rich" again but I don't have much pretense that I'll have much time to enjoy the hobby again anytime soon.  I know JCBShark (Jeff) has made it to North FL (with a 1/4 of his collection), I've made it to north of Atlanta with 1 meg tooth from my collection, and I hope everyone else reaches safety.  Those fossils have been there millions of years, I'm sure they'll be safe.  Hopefully the hunters will be too!

Best of luck!

Kevin 

I was mainly snorkeling the shore break. It generally does not produce that well, I went out the next day as well and didn't find much. 

25 minutes ago, Calvin Jenkins said:

Yeah, I was anticipating that fossil hunting would be "rich" again but I don't have much pretense that I'll have much time to enjoy the hobby again anytime soon.  I know JCBShark (Jeff) has made it to North FL (with a 1/4 of his collection), I've made it to north of Atlanta with 1 meg tooth from my collection, and I hope everyone else reaches safety.  Those fossils have been there millions of years, I'm sure they'll be safe.  Hopefully the hunters will be too!

Best of luck!

Kevin 

Unfortunately I'm stuck here at this point. I feel pretty secure about our preparation. I will be out after things clear up so more pics to come. Let's all hope for the best for everyone. 

Stay safe 

I was assuming that venice beach was pretty much emptied by now, but yet you hauled in a meg tooth from there :blink:

Of course, the big one of the top of the pic is a meg (so are the other biggies left and right of it i think) The long and point crowned tooth right of the center meg is a carcharias tooth (sand tiger).

On the upper left corner of small shark teeth, I see some makos, a hemi, a mini meg?, and tons of posterior carcharias teeth. The teeth below are either carcharhinus or lemon shark teeth. All the teeth on the right are a bunch of lemon, carcharinus, carcharias, and hemi teeth. Nice haul!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Wow. Those are good beach finds.  I bet you'll find some whoppers right after the storm passes.  Be the first one there at low tide and be sure to take lots of in situ pics for the rest of us!

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Archived