keichousaurus fossils

LargeAfricanApe

Hi guys! We just got some new Keichousaurs, but I'm afraid some of them may be fake. Their just to perfect, and what are the odds that they all died in roughly the same position? Any help would be much appreciated!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

They look pretty real to me - Close up pictures of each section of the body on each one would be needed to ascertain anything further.

There may be some paint on the matrix to make up for lost bones.

Hope those weren't the prices paid for these.  :blink:

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The cracks are a good sign, most creatures have a position their body moves to after death So that does not concern me.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks guys! You're always very helpful. Those are the prices we are charging. I'll send some more close ups.

More photos.

I know weren't supposed to ask about the value of these items, but, as a low level employee who doesn't handle pricing, would you guys say these prices are fair?

image.jpeg

The prices seem exorbitant, to me. :unsure: 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Keichousaurus fossils are very common. If I am reading the pictured tags correctly, they are overpriced by a great amount. Look on that famous auction site and you will see dozens offered. Following several there with a little patience will reveal an average of what folks are willing to pay

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, LargeAfricanApe said:

Well, I'm having trouble posting the close ups . . .

The Fossil Forum has a 3.95 megabyte limit per post. You can use a reply post to add more pictures as long as they do not exceed the maximum limit.

If You still have problems You can refresh and it should help.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

8 hours ago, LargeAfricanApe said:

Hi guys! We just got some new Keichousaurs, but I'm afraid some of them may be fake. Their just to perfect, and what are the odds that they all died in roughly the same position? Any help would be much appreciated!

image.jpg

image.jpg

The top piece probably has a composited or badly prepped head and tail end.

The bottom piece has strange hind legs. The tail looks weird too.

Your prices are way off too.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I agree, these look real. I'm thinking these aren't composites, but just badly prepared specimens in some cases. Are you planning to prep the one that's still embedded in rock?

The prices are very high. I've seen some extremely well prepared, large Keich fossils sell for $1000-$2000. More low-mid quality Keich fossils sell for a couple hundred dollars online.

I want to prep it myself. I'm hoping my boss will just give it to me. It's a pretty cool piece, from what I can see. The exposed spine is partially pyratized!

8 hours ago, LargeAfricanApe said:

I want to prep it myself. I'm hoping my boss will just give it to me. It's a pretty cool piece, from what I can see. The exposed spine is partially pyratized!

I don't know if you are an experienced preperator,  as you do not mention your level of experience, but Keichousaurus fossils are known to be fairly difficult to prepare.

Just something to think about. :) 

Regards,

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

I don't know if you are an experienced preperator,  as you don not mention your level of experience, but Keichousaurus fossils are known to be fairly difficult to prepare.

Just something to think about. :) 

Regards,

Hello my friend Fossildude19.

Would you know how to dilute the hydrochloric acid? I have 3 keichousaurus to prepare, and at least one of them I would like to prepare with hydrochloric acid. Hugs!

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

47 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Would you know how to dilute the hydrochloric acid? I have 3 keichousaurus to prepare, and at least one of them I would like to prepare with hydrochloric acid. Hugs!

I haven't worked with it before, but never pour the water into acid, pour acid into water while stirring. This is because the reaction is exothermic (hydrogen bonds and all that) and the water will boil and acid will spit all over the place. Others may know more (amounts and such) That Muriatic acid is nasty stuff, be careful!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

28 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I haven't worked with it before, but never pour the water into acid, pour acid into water while stirring. This is because the reaction is exothermic (hydrogen bonds and all that) and the water will boil and acid will spit all over the place. That Muriatic acid is nasty stuff, be careful!

Thanks for the advice my friend WhodamanHD.

But in fact it is not muriatic acid that I would like to know how to dilute, but hydrochloric acid, as a ratio of acid to water. Huge hug!

03.PNG

Just now, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Thanks for the advice my friend WhodamanHD.

But in fact it is not muriatic acid that I would like to know how to dilute, but hydrochloric acid, as a ratio of acid to water. Huge hug!

They are the same thing, and the same goes for most acids. Hope you can get a good ratio from someone!

Happy hunting,

Mason

30 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

They are the same thing, and the same goes for most acids. Hope you can get a good ratio from someone!

Thanks for the information, which certainly helped me a bit. If someone else can help me with proportions, exposure time and subsequent cleaning, I am very grateful. Hugs my friend WhodamanHD!

03.PNG

5 hours ago, LargeAfricanApe said:

...The exposed spine is partially pyratized!

Pyrite can be very unstable; I have seen pyritized fossils turn into white powder.

Another caution is to protect your lungs from the rock (and pyrite) dust with a good filter mask.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

14 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Acids are always very difficult/dangerous to work with, as far as I know. 

You might PM @Laboratary FODERE or @steelhead9 as they have much experience with preparing Keichousaurus fossils.

LINK 1    LINK 2

Good luck!! :) 

10 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Acids are always very difficult/dangerous to work with, as far as I know. 

You might PM @Laboratary FODERE or @steelhead9 as they have much experience with preparing Keichousaurus fossils.

LINK 1    LINK 2

Good luck!! :) 

:yay-smiley-1:

Thank you my friend Fossildude19.

Yes, I'll get in touch with them. Hugs!

03.PNG

I have strong doubts that acid is the correct way to prepare a keichousaur fossil. It is more likely to attack the fossil bones than the stone matrix.
In my experience, these are always prepared mechanically.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!