Coral or something else?

Hat

Hi.

Found this in a dry creek bed north of Silver City, NM. Can't tell if it's a coral or something more like an ammonite.

The rock is very pink and reddish color.

Thanks. 

0907171431.jpg

0907171431b.jpg

I'm confident it is an ammonite, and I'll take an educated guess at an ID: Tarrantoceras.  There are outcrops of Mancos Formation (AKA Colorado Shale) in the Silver City area that produce a variety of ammonites including Tarrantoceras.  I recommend that you pick up a copy of Cobban, Hook, & Kennedy 1989 Upper Cretaceous Rocks and Ammonite faunas of Southwestern New Mexico, New Mexico Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources Memoir 45.  There are a lot of outcrops of Cretaceous rocks around the area, with a variety of ammonites and other fauna.  The Silver City area also has great Devonian and Mississippian faunas, and some Cambrian and Ordovician as well.

Don C

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'm confident it is an ammonite, and I'll take an educated guess at an ID: Tarrantoceras.  There are outcrops of Mancos Formation (AKA Colorado Shale) in the Silver City area that produce a variety of ammonites including Tarrantoceras.  I recommend that you pick up a copy of Cobban, Hook, & Kennedy 1989 Upper Cretaceous Rocks and Ammonite faunas of Southwestern New Mexico, New Mexico Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources Memoir 45.  There are a lot of outcrops of Cretaceous rocks around the area, with a variety of ammonites and other fauna.  The Silver City area also has great Devonian and Mississippian faunas, and some Cambrian and Ordovician as well.

Don C

Cool!