Possible Fish Jaw & Mystery Bone.

Connah

Hey guys, took the daughter down to Beaumaris for a quick look today & I found this piece which reminds me (I'm sure), of a fish jaw I've seen posted somewhere else. If anyone can ID I'd be grateful.

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

Have a horrible feeling that my daughter may have trumped me with this bone fragment, any clues?

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

Not an expert, but my money would be on your daughter's find.

I'm guessing it to be diagnostic as an ankle bone. 

The fish jaw I question.

17 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Not an expert, but my money would be on your daughter's find.

I'm guessing it to be diagnostic as an ankle bone. 

The fish jaw I question.

Thanks @Rockwood I was leaning toward an articulated fragment.

5 minutes ago, Connah said:

Any ideas @Paleoworld-101 it does does look quite similar to one you posted from Beaumaris.

Yes, the first one is definitely a fish jaw! Great find! Both yours and mine are almost perfectly matched with one that is figured in the book 'Vertebrate Palaeontology of Australasia'. I'll get a pic of it up so you can see for yourself. 

Not sure about the other bone though but it has some nice shape to it that others might know what it is. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

See I-K below.  ''Teleostean dentosplenials from Beaumaris, Victoria''

IMG_2186.JPG.373c17b85f26e6b476199dfeddf4fa39.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG.f85f120f85942a93831047dc04260fb1.JPG

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

1 hour ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

See I-K below.  ''Teleostean dentosplenials from Beaumaris, Victoria''

IMG_2186.JPG.373c17b85f26e6b476199dfeddf4fa39.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG.f85f120f85942a93831047dc04260fb1.JPG

Thanks so much @Paleoworld-101 that first I illustration is spot on. Thanks for digging that out, I knew I had seen this shape before.

Had a few nice cetacean fragments to go along with the two finds I posted but still no shark teeth, elusive buggers :D

40 minutes ago, Connah said:

Thanks so much @Paleoworld-101 that first I illustration is spot on. Thanks for digging that out, I knew I had seen this shape before.

Had a few nice cetacean fragments to go along with the two finds I posted but still no shark teeth, elusive buggers :D

No problem.

Yes, the shark teeth are tricky and it's just a matter of putting in as much time looking as possible. They will turn up eventually. I've now done 5 days of collecting there and have 9 teeth but most are broken or worn. 

Archived