Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Connah

Possible Fish Jaw & Mystery Bone.

Recommended Posts

Connah

Hey guys, took the daughter down to Beaumaris for a quick look today & I found this piece which reminds me (I'm sure), of a fish jaw I've seen posted somewhere else. If anyone can ID I'd be grateful.

 

  

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

Have a horrible feeling that my daughter may have trumped me with this bone fragment, any clues?

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockwood

Not an expert, but my money would be on your daughter's find.

I'm guessing it to be diagnostic as an ankle bone. 

The fish jaw I question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Connah
17 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Not an expert, but my money would be on your daughter's find.

I'm guessing it to be diagnostic as an ankle bone. 

The fish jaw I question.

 Thanks @Rockwood I was leaning toward an articulated fragment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockwood

You might want to stand by for a while. Some of our people are likely to be otherwise occupied, with the weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Connah

Any ideas @Paleoworld-101 it does does look quite similar to one you posted from Beaumaris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paleoworld-101
5 minutes ago, Connah said:

Any ideas @Paleoworld-101 it does does look quite similar to one you posted from Beaumaris.

 

Yes, the first one is definitely a fish jaw! Great find! Both yours and mine are almost perfectly matched with one that is figured in the book 'Vertebrate Palaeontology of Australasia'. I'll get a pic of it up so you can see for yourself. 

 

Not sure about the other bone though but it has some nice shape to it that others might know what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paleoworld-101

See I-K below.  ''Teleostean dentosplenials from Beaumaris, Victoria''

 

IMG_2186.JPG.373c17b85f26e6b476199dfeddf4fa39.JPG

 

IMG_2187.JPG.f85f120f85942a93831047dc04260fb1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Connah
1 hour ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

See I-K below.  ''Teleostean dentosplenials from Beaumaris, Victoria''

 

IMG_2186.JPG.373c17b85f26e6b476199dfeddf4fa39.JPG

 

IMG_2187.JPG.f85f120f85942a93831047dc04260fb1.JPG

 

 

Thanks so much @Paleoworld-101 that first I illustration is spot on. Thanks for digging that out, I knew I had seen this shape before.

 

  Had a few nice cetacean fragments to go along with the two finds I posted but still no shark teeth, elusive buggers :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paleoworld-101
40 minutes ago, Connah said:

 

 

Thanks so much @Paleoworld-101 that first I illustration is spot on. Thanks for digging that out, I knew I had seen this shape before.

 

  Had a few nice cetacean fragments to go along with the two finds I posted but still no shark teeth, elusive buggers :D

 

No problem.

 

Yes, the shark teeth are tricky and it's just a matter of putting in as much time looking as possible. They will turn up eventually. I've now done 5 days of collecting there and have 9 teeth but most are broken or worn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockwood

Hang in there girl. 

The old man hasn't won yet :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Connah

Ha! Ha! @Rockwood I'd be delighted to be beaten by her. She has a natural eye for this game & I'm just pleased she's interested & fascinated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×