New Microfossil microscope!

Arizona Chris

HI all,

Finally, after 20 years of using a cheap stereo microscope with cheap optics and base, we decided to get a new one with all the bells and whistles.  Our back log of Fort Apache microfossils which we are studying at present was the catalyst for this.  We got an awesome scope from AmScope, a trinocular unit with 3.5x - 90x range and a 10 Mpix built in camera.  Its like going from watching a small TV to going to the IMAX theatre!  What an awesome scope for $909.  Here are my very first attempts at some images taken today, of some of the Fort Apache material.  I set the camera for 5Mpix and resized the images here to 1290 x 960 which is like 1 mpixel to keep them within size limits, but  you get the idea.  

The Trinocular feature puts light to the camera when you push or pull in a lever and sends the left eye to the camera instead.  The camera and eyepiece can be set independently so you can get it pretty close by just focusing normally.  

Here are a few sample images.  I have a lot to learn on microscope imaging, but the software that came with the camera is amazing.  Two image scales here, one at 3.5x and another at 20x zoom.  

Three gastropods and a pinhead.  3.5x with LED side lighting.

3Gastropods35x-1290.thumb.jpg.7db9da2a94a55398c512e0a819d9c47a.jpg

Now here at 20x is the same group but first with the LED side light:

3Gastropods20x-1290.thumb.jpg.f6c357f0a59102751178916a3249450b.jpg

Now for comparison, using the Halogen Ring light:

I dont like this very well, so Ill use the LED for fossils anyway.

3Gastropods20x-halogen-1290.thumb.jpg.6e8d26ddecad5f0300ef921ecd49ccc8.jpg

Fenestellid Bryozoan, 3.5x

bryozoan35x-1290.thumb.jpg.8bf3c81880408c1f2d2c2bb22ed0b8a3.jpg

Bryozoan at 20x

bryozoan20x-1290.thumb.jpg.2cc22f181ef1a56cc559043f081ee34c.jpg

Tenticulites at 3.5x

Tenticulites35x-1290.thumb.jpg.e030febbbddf739afe61311dc63d7803.jpg

Now at 20x

Tenticulites20x-1290.thumb.jpg.8bcc60e191860c4ac703b4c9f532c4a0.jpg

And here is the setup as it sits right now.  The black lamp on its left is the LED high intensity light from Walmart. ;)

I have yet to try focus stacking and many other things.  The camera was taken at 5mp and I can go much larger files but thats a bit of overkill.  More to come!

DSC00653-1024.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Nice set up!

You will have better results if You use a solid black or white background for Your pictures. (dependent on the color of the fossil.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

That's a really nice rig! Great initial photo results. Very impressive. Don't count out the halogen ring light entirely. Ring light illumination is very desirable in many macro photo situations. Indeed the ring light shot is washed out to my eye. My fiber optic ring light is rheostat controlled so light intensity is adjustable. I assume yours is not, but there may be ways around that. I would check with the light's producer and see if snap on diffusers are offered. If not, you could cobble one together, keeping in mind halogen lights get hot. Have fun, it looks like you have a great tool.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks Guys - yes my ring light is fully adjustable, but still the flat lighting may be good for some fossils but not others.  Thats part of being a photographer, choosing the right light source for your images.  Ynot - I have a variety of backgrounds made from construction paper, etc.  I just grabbed a piece of varnished wood here, lots of specular glints for sure.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html