Labor Day weekend (Dino stuff)

bone2stone

Took an extra day off for the Labor day weekend to relax in the country side away from the Dallas Tx area.

Quite peaceful in my travel trailer under the huge Spanish Oaks.

Too much tequila that night before the dig did not help the situation, found it difficult to roll out of bed the next morning.

My bud promised me a visit to his print site with Professor Anderson. Gas a little hard to come by but he managed to find a station with a rationed supply.

Finnally he came out and I got to handle some facinating finds he had recently made and he too got to see some of my stuff.

I do think we managed facinate each other with the specimens we drug out.

He had an amazing Sloth claw from the Sulphur area and I had my pseudounicornious and a pterosaur skull.

He seemed to be more interested in the decacarcinus crab (Unidentified) I brought with me.

But what we did at camp is not what I wanted to post about. (I am not allowed to post pictures of the site only my my finds)

While Prof Anderson and Steve (my bud) worked out another huge print I was working on a thin deposit of clay "bone infested" material.

Most of the bone material is scattered partials of turtle (First time I have found fossil turtle in the Glen Rose material) but there it was.

The prints are quite abundant there and easy to "pick up" natural casts everywhere! That was not what I was there to investigate.

The bone material was abundant and easy to extract once the 6" limestone cap was removed.

Steve lifted some cap stone and said get after it. Two hours was all the time we had but it was enough to convince me to go back soon.

After scratching at the exposure I found plenty of turtle material but all was crushed. Makes sence concidering all the dino activity in the immediate area would crush any underlying material.

I gathered some of the fragments and tried to piece them together with limited success.

I then found the one thing I had hoped for. A dino bone!

Although small it was a first in that site. A "bird like" dino tail bone! I have hopes someone will be able to narrow down a few details on it.

If there are any ideas I am open to suggestions as to id.

BTW: I also found a very good print which I promptly placed in the truck to grace my collection. Area circled is a smaller print super-imposed on top of juvenile print.

What you can see is bottom of natural cast.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG

Reached Limit.

IMG_2783_LI.jpg

Sounds like a fun trip, amazing haul as well!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason