Mystery fossils from the Permian Fort Apache LS.

Arizona Chris

Hi all,

As we go throgh hundreds of pounds of limestone for our current project, the acid bath fines are revealing some strange silicified remains.  This one is an enigma for us!  We have found half a dozen so far, and have no idea what they might be.  However, we have some clues.  First, there is no crinoid material from this deposit, so not likely a part of a calyx.  Second, there is tons of urchin remains and so I suspect this might be a part of an urchin.  Maybe a mount part?  The pie wedge shaped pieces have straight sides and a perplexing hole in each one.  All are very small, the mm scale is at the bottom. Anyone have some thoughts on what they may be?

FtApacheMystery1-1290.thumb.jpg.f6bf3aadaface0c691e9794cfe7cd6ef.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Hi,

I am not sure ! Permian is to old for me, and these small parts aren't clear, they seem mineralized. To my knowledge, the parts of Aristotle's lantern don't show a hole in their middle, it is their assembly which presents holes.

290064LanterneAristote1.jpg

548819LanterneAristote2.jpg

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

The species of echinoid (as IDed from spines and isolated plates) from the Fort Apache Member is Echinocrinus trudifer or Archaeocidaris trudifer White. If anyone can find info/ photo of that species mouthparts, that would be great.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Some of them look like g------ plates. An urchin will have 5 of them around the periproct. I find cidaroid g------ plates frequently in Eocene material that I pick through here in NC.

edit: Tried to say g------ plates but g------ got edited out.

edit again: g-e-n-i-t-a-l plates.

Echinocrinus might be a suppressed name

A.trudifer would have to be a post 1958 named taxon?(It's NOT in Kier's Paleozoic echinoids)

In Winters Paper from 1963, E. trudifer (White) is what he lists as the echinoid found in the Ft. Apache.  This is based on spines alone, and not other parts which were very uncommon.  We have also found many spine base plates so It is not impossible to say the plates would be a ring around the mouth or periproct.  The holes could be for canals for the water vascular system or maybe nerves.  After this many years that name could certainly be obsolete!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Archived