Chub? Angustidens? Meg?

Miocene_Mason

Saw this for sale and I'm thinking about buying it, the seller has it as "Carcharocus Megalodon" so obviously doesn't know exactly what it is. I am suspicious that it could be a chubutensis, and I am looking for one at a low price (this one is cheap) it's from the Aurora site btw. Any Ideas?

IMG_2995.PNG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Not that it matters much on this one - but how big is it?

I do not see anything that could determine one way or the other. It would be classified as a "fragalodon".

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

50 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Carcharocus

:rofl:

On other things, The problem is that the part where the root and the bottom right part of the crown meets is missing (If im seeing he pic right). But I'd cross off angusteiden right off the bat because I'm pretty sure that the bottom right of the crown is where it should end. The deal is to decide whether that thing is a slight vestigal cusp or not, which is a bit harder to decide since the root is missing (If the crown material was supposed to extend a bit more down, then Ill say meg, if that crown material was supposed to end as it was, id say chub).

I also love how online sellers who don't specialize in shark teeth often mistaken chubs as megs, which is forgivable since vestigal cusps are honestly pretty easy to ignore. I one saw a chub on an online shop misidentified as a meg (It costed only 180 bucks and I should have bought that because it was 5+ inches and chubs that size are like 6 inch megs), and a couple other examples.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

9 hours ago, ynot said:

Not that it matters much on this one - but how big is it?

I do not see anything that could determine one way or the other. It would be classified as a "fragalodon".

No size reference other than the bag it's in, I estimate between one and two inches. Two things I noticed (I don't know if they are important or not) is it lacks a bourlette and it's serrated more than the megs I have (which are albeit mostly small and fragmentary). I can't tell if It has the vestigial cusp or not, but I might buy it anyway. Thanks for your help!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

:rofl:

On other things, The problem is that the part where the root and the bottom right part of the crown meets is missing (If im seeing he pic right). But I'd cross off angusteiden right off the bat because I'm pretty sure that the bottom right of the crown is where it should end. The deal is to decide whether that thing is a slight vestigal cusp or not, which is a bit harder to decide since the root is missing (If the crown material was supposed to extend a bit more down, then Ill say meg, if that crown material was supposed to end as it was, id say chub).

I also love how online sellers who don't specialize in shark teeth often mistaken chubs as megs, which is forgivable since vestigal cusps are honestly pretty easy to ignore. I one saw a chub on an online shop misidentified as a meg (It costed only 180 bucks and I should have bought that because it was 5+ inches and chubs that size are like 6 inch megs), and a couple other examples.

Yeah I might get it any way, just in case because I want a chub on on my budget it's hard to manage (this thing costs me 20 bucks) I guess the only way to tell is to have it in hand to see if one of the divets is a cusplet, if it's not a chub, oh well i got another fragaladon. Odds are I'll end up posting something on the forum asking for a small or broken chub for money/trade and if I don't get any takers I'll buy it. Thank you for your help!

Happy hunting,

Mason

I hope you have not yet made up your mind re the purchase of this fragolodon. It is very over priced, particularly if your size estimate is in the ballpark. Look around a little more and I think you could, perhaps for a few more $$, add a more representative example to your collection. There are a lot of members in this group who sell megs, chubs, etc. and perhaps one will step forward and make you an offer. We all understand the "I need it now" a collector often feels when looking at a special shark tooth but there are thousands of others available. A little more time sorting out you options can yield a better tooth. Good luck in your hunt!!

send me a pm. I don't even pick up stuff like that most of the time. 

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

2 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

send me a pm. I don't even pick up stuff like that most of the time. 

PM sent.

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Also some small megalodon teeth have cusps. So cusps on a 2 inch tooth does not prove chub.

Thats intresting! Never heard of that.

2 hours ago, fossilselachian said:

I hope you have not yet made up your mind re the purchase of this fragolodon. It is very over priced, particularly if your size estimate is in the ballpark. Look around a little more and I think you could, perhaps for a few more $$, add a more representative example to your collection. There are a lot of members in this group who sell megs, chubs, etc. and perhaps one will step forward and make you an offer. We all understand the "I need it now" a collector often feels when looking at a special shark tooth but there are thousands of others available. A little more time sorting out you options can yield a better tooth. Good luck in your hunt!!

Yeah, I just thought I might as well jump on a cheap one. I may not buy it if I can get one on the forum (I'd much rather buy something here than anywhere else on the internet). Thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, ynot said:

Also some small megalodon teeth have cusps. So cusps on a 2 inch tooth does not prove chub.

Thats actually really intresting to hear. Guess now chub/meg misids are gonna get worse now. (hopefully that 5 inch shark tooth with vestigal cusps labeled as a meg is still actually a chub?)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Wow. Like sixgill, I rarely even pick up these broken teeth anymore. I probably have some laying around I would be happy to send you. 

On 9/13/2017 at 6:18 PM, RickNC said:

Wow. Like sixgill, I rarely even pick up these broken teeth anymore. I probably have some laying around I would be happy to send you. 

Pm sent 

Happy hunting,

Mason