Best household tool for Green River prepping?

Macrophyseter

So I have this small block of Green River matrix that has fish material. When I got it, A part has been prepped, exposing most of it, but then I checked the corners, saw more covered material, and realized that it could be prepped even further. The problem is, I don't have any prepping tools because I've never prepped a fossil before :blink: But maybe is there any household tools that could efficiently prep Green River matrix? I just need to remove one tiny layer.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

A very sharp pocket knife,

sharpened awl,

sewing needle wrapped at one end with tape, to make a handle.

Manual scribe.

Compass needle.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

With simple hand-powered tools some prep is performed by pulverizing the matrix with a scraping motion. With much of the "split fish" material a superior method is often productive. Try holding a sharp needle, pick, etc. at a right angle to the piece. The effort should be directed a very small distance from an already exposed area. Gently punch the needle into the matrix with the goal of "popping" off a fragment of the obscuring matrix from the margin. Often a nice chunk will come cleanly away. Avoid too much pressure, putting needle holes in the fossil. In many cases there is a natural separation of fossil/matrix, making this technique very productive. Sometimes the matrix/fossil surface have a great affinity (more often in "18 inch layer" fish) and this method is much less utile.

Good luck. Have fun. Your mileage may vary.

Edit: As Tim sagely suggested, a simple sewing needle can be employed. Early in my prep efforts I exposed a lot of scaly critters with such a rig. I took a robust needle and folded a thin piece of hard plastic over the eye. This trick helps avoid the all too often occurrence of the eye end working its way through the tape. I wrapped the plastic with enough tape to form a comfortable pad to be gripped between thumb and forefinger. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I found an X-acto knife works really well. You can get different-shaped blades  and experiment which works best.

Good luck!

If I were you I would invest in a small metal scribe (not an air or electric one, just a manual one as fossil dude said, they are mostly cheap) it will make it a little less tedious than with a needle.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I would agree that for manual tools you can not really beat an super sharp exacto knife. After that a pin vice with sewing machine needles

Okay, I do have some of the times you guys suggested (exacto, pocketknife, needle), and I guess thats enough for removing a small layer. Thanks!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I have seen several fish dig kits (where it comes with a unprepared plate, and needed tools) and basically the only tools they come with are a wooden handled scribe and a gum eraser. Seems like only very basic tools are required to do the job in most cases.

Archived