Super Cool Eocene Flora

Hailshale

I've been collecting for a few years, and other than the ubiquitous Metasequoia Occidentalis, don't know a lot about what I've been picking up. Apologies for off-center photos. 

Top right is a nicely detailed, strangely pale leaf fragment. The bottom left comptonia-like specimen is relatively common at this site. The one on the bottom right I am very curious about. I assume the bottom left is some kind of conifer seed pod. I've not found any cones here. 

foto_no_exif_(1).thumb.jpg.2677e11e78b2d2e00c70ece38395acf3.jpg

Edited by Hailshale

Just refresh, you can upload more. Very nice finds!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, Hailshale said:

I have way more stuff but I've already hit the upload limit so that'll have to wait for another day.

Welcome to TFF!

You can also add more pictures in replies to a thread.

Nice plant fossils, sorry I can not help with ids.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Very nice little seed thing (soapberry?) I found. I don't know anything about taphonomy; is the brown color due to mineralization or might it be the well-preserved natural color?

foto_no_exif.jpg

Plain-looking wood shapes are common around this site. Today i found this one, which has an anamalous round structure associated with it. Might it be a cone? 

fossil cone.jpg

Very nice fossils you've found. What formation are you collecting in? I really like the zig-zag comptonia specimen.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

This looks a lot like Whipsaw Creek material.  That was one of my favorite collecting sites when I lived in BC.

I think the cone is a Metasequoia.  I found one or two of the "soapberry" type seed but don't recall the name off the top of my head.

Don C

By the way here is a link to an excellent site for identifying plant fossils from the Republic, WA site, which has a lot of the same flora as is found around Princeton and Cache Creek (and other Okanagan Highlands sites).  There used to be a very similar online site for McAbee (run by the Evolving Earth Foundation) but all the links seem to be empty now.

Don C

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

...I found one or two of the "soapberry" type seed but don't recall the name off the top of my head.

Dipteronia brownii

figures from:

McClain, A.M., & Manchester, S.R. (2001)

Dipteronia (Sapindaceae) from the Tertiary of North America and implications for the phytogeographic history of the Aceroideae.

American Journal of Botany, 88(7):1316-1325   PDF LINK

IMG.thumb.jpg.63e468521445fac3e4796f036f3d06b2.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png