Shark Tooth ID

Connah

Well @Paleoworld-101 she got in first. My daughter pulled up this lovely Isurus hastalis form Beaumaris today, her first tooth. She's pretty chuffed.

Now I say Isurus hastalis but I'm trying to go on the plates from vertebrate palaeontology of Australia, thanks for the heads-up on this @Paleoworld-101, but they're pretty dark so if anyone can pin-point this bad boy I would be grateful.

IMG_0553.JPG

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Awesome find! 

The species has more recently been reassigned to the genus Carcharodon so it is a Carcharodon hastalis, an extinct white shark tooth. 

Was it from the northern or southern side of the yacht squadron? 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Hey @Paleoworld-101, yup she is pretty happy. We had a super low tide today & managed to get around to the South side (left as you look out from the squadron). A few more whale frags to take home from the North side but the tooth was the only find from the South. Needless to say I am very envious :D

Archived