Frankentooth or are these teeth real?

Seguidora-de-Isis

I have some doubts about this lot of Moroccan of teeth fossils. All opinions are welcome, and I thank you!

Fossil Nº. 01 - Peyeria lybica fossil teeth (kem kem)

It's real? I do not know if it has already been described scientifically ... How should I label this in my collection?

01.PNG

02.PNG

:hammer01:====================:hammer01:====================:hammer01:====================:hammer01:

Fossil Nº. 02 - Ceratodus fossil teeth (kem kem)

It's real? I do not know if it has already been described scientifically ... How should I label this in my collection?

01.PNG

02.PNG

01.PNG

:hammer01:====================:hammer01:====================:hammer01:====================:hammer01:

Fossil Nº. 03 - Pterosaur Coloborhynchus fossil teeth (kem kem)

It's real?

01.PNG

02.PNG

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

For some reason...fossil number one looks more like a bivalve shell than it does any kind of tooth I've ever seen.

Number two definitely looks like a lungfish (Ceratodus or related genus) to me...and the size is not outlandish.  They are relatively common in the Kem Kem area so I don't know why anybody would take the time to fake one.

I'm afraid that I can't help you with number 3.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

The Peyeria looks nice. At one time they were thought to be rostral teeth of a sawfish but now are thought to be dermal denticles.

• I found this Informative 1

Well I've learned something new once again!  To be honest, I'd never heard of Peyeria before but that certainly looks like what you've got!  Thanks for the information Al Dente!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

The Peyeria looks nice. At one time they were thought to be rostral teeth of a sawfish but now are thought to be dermal denticles.

Thanks for the informations my friend Al Dente. I am from that time when this tooth was thought to belong to some rostral teeth of a sawfish :blink:. Dermal denticles? Which animal? Of some fish? I did not know this theory yet. Where can I find this information? Any publication? Hugs! :D

03.PNG

The first one is labeled correctly.

The second one is indeed a lunfish tooth. It should be labeled as Neoceratodus africanus.

The third fossil is a Pterosaur tooth. It should probably be labeled as Siroccopretyx moroccensis. Though some consider this species synonymous with Coloborhynchus as it's quite similar. That's why you sometimes see teeth from Morocco labeled as such.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Thanks for the informations my friend Al Dente. I am from that time when this tooth was thought to belong to some rostral teeth of a sawfish :blink:. Dermal denticles? Which animal? Of some fish? I did not know this theory yet. Where can I find this information? Any publication? Hugs! :D

Cappetta mentioned that these could be dermal thorns from some type of ray back in 1987. There is a modern ray with very similar dermal denticles. It is the bowmouth guitarfish (Rhina sp.).

57 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Cappetta mentioned that these could be dermal thorns from some type of ray back in 1987. There is a modern ray with very similar dermal denticles. It is the bowmouth guitarfish (Rhina sp.).

Thank you my friend Al Dente! I was seeing these posts:

And now I'm understanding much better about this. Huge hug!

03.PNG

all of them fossils you have are real, the first one I believed to be a rarer type of sawfish, however someone pointed out a debate about it being a dermal denticle, the second is a lung fish and finally the crown jewel for me the siroccopretyx tooth it has the characteristics of a genuine one and identified as such (vertical like serrations at the bottom, running to smooth at the tip curve looks good) and there is still matrix attached which looks kem kem typical.

Although I can't speak for the identity of the first two fossils, I would say all three are right proper teeth, and not frankenteeth.

I presume the pictures are taken from the seller? If it's the same one I am thinking of, he's reliable.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2017 at 11:37 AM, -Andy- said:

Although I can't speak for the identity of the first two fossils, I would say all three are right proper teeth, and not frankenteeth.

I presume the pictures are taken from the seller? If it's the same one I am thinking of, he's reliable.

Oh yeah! These photos are from the seller. I believe that for these photos you already know who is the seller... But yes, he is very trustworthy, I have done several shopping with him since he works with fossils from my preferred fossiliferous area; Kem Kem beds. :D

Thank you all very much for your input, it is very much appreciated my friends -Andy-, Fruitbat, Al Dente, LordTrilobite and RJB.

03.PNG