6-Hour Greenops Hunt at Arkona

Kane

Deb and me just got in from a good six hour search for Greenops, carving out and extending benches. Did we find full ones? Well, yes and no.

As those familiar with the area know all too well, finding a full Greenops is not easy. Apart from a zillion moulted pieces, their notorious delicate flakiness, and sometimes the frustration with the matrix itself, full ones - when they appear - rarely come out nice and pristine without some damage. I haven't been as much of a Greenops whisperer this year, but some pics of finds...

First up are the heartbreakers - stuff that had the potential to be full, but for one reason or another wasn't. Next is a cluster of more heartbreakers, but there are two "full" ones in there, but with considerable damage on one and distortion on the other. The others in that group may prep out full, but they already display considerable damage.

IMG_4138.JPG

IMG_4139.JPG

I don't usually find crinoid stems this far up in the Widder shale. This stem actually continues on the other side. Some very delicate prep, and I'm hoping I might find a surprise at the end of that stem.

IMG_4142.JPG

My rule about this orthocone nautiloids is, if it is intact, wrap it up and put it in the bucket. This might actually come free of the matrix.

IMG_4137.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

And my rule for ammonoids is always pick them up! :P 

Flanked by smaller cousins, note the big kahuna in the middle. I was stunned to find this, and it pretty much was a trip-maker for me. The second picture shows a bit more of the suture detail. Fully inflated, and by far the biggest intact goniatite I've found at the site. It may clean up very nicely.

IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

Finally, a mystery piece Deb found. Not entirely sure what this is. Hopefully an Arkona expert wanders by and recognizes probably something that is easy to identify. Two images: in full and up close.

IMG_4135.JPG

IMG_4136.JPG

Awesome hunt for you, Kane! Congratulations.

The last item looks a bit like placoderm armor, to me. :) :fingerscrossed:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, Tim! :) I'm really hoping that last one is placo armour (it was fairly big) as it will definitely thrill Deb to know that!

Just now, crinus said:

It definite is placo armor.  Do you have the missing pieces?

Joe

She picked up every spare piece she could, so we might be able to reconstruct the missing parts. She'll be over the moon!

Turns out there were only a few more pieces, and she checked extensively. I've just pieced those together and added a measurement scale. Possibly a chunk of Bothriolepis...

IMG_4143.JPG

That is a very nice piece of arthrodire armor, we have Bothriolepis in Arizona, and are familiar with our species.  But what I dont see are the individual plates that make up the armor, ours has many small sections that cover the fish.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

1 minute ago, Arizona Chris said:

That is a very nice piece of arthrodire armor, we have Bothriolepis in Arizona, and are familiar with our species.  But what I dont see are the individual plates that make up the armor, ours has many small sections that cover the fish.  

I've been trying to map this one on the reconstructions I've seen, but not yet entirely sure where it "fits" anatomically. The lack of the individual plates is a bit odd, I agree. And then there is this little bit of banding that none of the images I've looked at seem to compare with. A head-scratcher! My knowledge of Widder Fm placoderms is admittedly pretty scant, although I always pocket them. Usually up here we get the B. canadensis

Excellent piece of placoderm armor.  However the impression where pieces are missing shows an ornament of many bumps or knobs.  I don't think that ornament is found on Bothriolepis.

Don

Just now, Ludwigia said:

Hey, Kane! You've got some nice and interesting finds there. Looks like the excursion was well worth it.

Thanks, Roger! :) 

I admit that when I found that big Torno, I thought of your time over here. :) 

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks, Roger! :) 

I admit that when I found that big Torno, I thought of your time over here. :) 

At least you really found it there :P Nice one, by the way.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Definitely fish armour. Looks like you were in greenops heaven.... Gotta get there with you this season......A couple of the greenops look like they have potential

Hey Kane!

I LOVE your orthoconic nautiloid!!!  Those colours are beautiful!!!  I'm very much :envy:

Thanks for sharing!

Monica

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

At least you really found it there :P Nice one, by the way.

:rofl: Just wait until you find a torno in your Callovian Hills!

1 hour ago, Malcolmt said:

Definitely fish armour. Looks like you were in greenops heaven.... Gotta get there with you this season......A couple of the greenops look like they have potential

I venture to guess the placo is Protitanichthys. The one Greenops that shows promise comes with its impression (with some of the cephalon stuck to it). That would take some delicate prep and recon, so it is probably best for me to gift it to someone with the tools, patience and skill. ;) I've finally pinpointed the layer where the fuller ones come out most often, so hopefully we'll have a chance to work that layer.

50 minutes ago, Monica said:

Hey Kane!

I LOVE your orthoconic nautiloid!!!  Those colours are beautiful!!!  I'm very much :envy:

Thanks for sharing!

Monica

Thanks! And if you and Viola ever wander upriver to the Widder shale exposures, they do come out there every once in a while, much bigger an the Arkona bactrites. :)

25 minutes ago, Kane said:

I venture to guess the placo is Protitanichthys. The one Greenops that shows promise comes with its impression (with some of the cephalon stuck to it). That would take some delicate prep and recon, so it is probably best for me to gift it to someone with the tools, patience and skill. ;) I've finally pinpointed the layer where the fuller ones come out most often, so hopefully we'll have a chance to work that layer.

But what if the individual with the tools, patience and skills wants to hold out for a pristine prone specimen as promised ..... lol

1 hour ago, Malcolmt said:

But what if the individual with the tools, patience and skills wants to hold out for a pristine prone specimen as promised ..... lol

Lol... well, it may take a few more digs there and some luck on my part!

A quick follow-up on the Greenops. Some light Dremel prep this morning to uncover some matrix on a few of the other more promising ones (the pyritized one with the accompanying impression I'm leaving alone. It would make an excellent practice piece for someone who seeks a challenge in restoration).

Left: That may indeed be a full roller, but is extremely delicate (the genal spines are sticking out awkwardly and would flake off easily if I applied the Dremel closely). It split on the right side, but I can glue it back. 

Centre: Pretty intact prone if not for the missing upper right cephalon. A real bummer it came out of the rock that way, but you can see the rest will come out complete (and, as per Malcolm's sage prep advice, I'm taking a break and will come back to it later - better than go too long and botch it).

Right: This one will be tough. It may be all there, but it is crushed into a kind of concave depression. This one is not a Dremel job!

IMG_4147.JPG

And just one more bunch from the prep table.

Not sure if the upper left will be more complete, but it is under a pygidium that will have to be blasted off. Some of these are very twisted, which presents a bit of a challenge. The one at the bottom right is not a roller, but pretty much folded in half and so very thin - complete-ish (missing cheeks/genal spines, and pygidial spines on the other side, sadly). 

IMG_4148.JPG

Archived