ElToro

Hi guys! I recently acquired two large theropod teeth from a reputable mate who is a geologist in the US. He had acquired a 30yo collection from a Harvard professor and these teeth were labeled as T-rex from Wyoming. I have showed pics of them to mates who believe they are Carcharodontosaurus. I trust my mate, but I do believe it's possible the specimens were mislabeled. My mate says the chance of that is very slim however. Is there any way to tell if they are Carcharodontosaurus or T-rex?

IMG_20170722_104557.jpg

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

I would agree that the chance of those teeth being trex are quite slim. I'm pretty sure that trex teeth are more longer and cone-like rather than being slightly flat and "right-triangle-shaped". I dont know if this doesnt apply to baby trex teeth or posterior teeth, but thats my opinion for now.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Here are a few images. Sorry, I'm at work so will check out any suggestions in a couple hrs when I finish.

IMG_20170722_103230.jpg

IMG_20170720_190837.jpg

- Indiana Jones

Seeing that the teeth seemingly dont end where it breaks off, there is a chance for it to be trex now after looking at that diagram above, that is if the teeth are only a small part of the actual tooth.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Hmm. Am trying to add more pics but it says I'm over the limit...

- Indiana Jones

Refresh your browser, (F5) El Toro. 

That should allow you to post more. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The tooth seems to be relatively thick where it broke off. The Carcharodontosaurus tooth in my collection is more flat. This would point towards t-rex.

Anyway, Carcharodontosaurus is called "African T-Rex"  by some fossil dealers. Probably there was a misunderstanding because of that.

Your teeth are without question from the Kem Kem Beds of Morocco and are Carcharodontosaurid.  The denticles of the mesial and distal carinae enamel wrinkles that extend parallel to the longitudinal axis of the denticles which is typical of these teeth and not seen on tyrannosaurids. 

Matrix on the base of one of the teeth looks like what you see from this region.  Nice pair

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 3

I take it your reference for that is this one?

CURRIE P. J., RIGBY K. JR. & SLOAN R. E. 1990. —
Theropod teeth from the Judith River Formation
of southern Alberta, Canada, in CARPENTER K. &
CURRIE P. J. (eds), Dinosaur Systematics: Approaches
and Perspectives. Cambridge University Press, New
York: 107-125.

Underneath:Fiorillo/Currie(1994)

5t6hb.jpg

I like to reference this paper when it comes to the Kem Kem.   Dino Systematics by Carpenter/Currie is the best reference book out there for theropod teeth from north america but it's now a bit outdated with all of the recent discoveries, but still good. 

Isolated theropod teeth from the Kem Kem
Beds (Early Cenomanian) near Taouz, Morocco
ARTICLE in PALÄONTOLOGISCHE ZEITSCHRIFT · JUNE 2012
Impact Factor: 1.48 · DOI: 10.1007/s12542-012-0153-1

28 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Itake it your reference for that is this one?

CURRIE P. J., RIGBY K. JR. & SLOAN R. E. 1990. —
Theropod teeth from the Judith River Formation
of southern Alberta, Canada, in CARPENTER K. &
CURRIE P. J. (eds), Dinosaur Systematics: Approaches
and Perspectives. Cambridge University Press, New
York: 107-125.

Underneath:Fiorillo/Currie(1994)

5t6hb.jpg

Correct I used the wrong words should have read ebsnel wrinkles, fixed it.

Brusatteetal2007EnamelWrinkles.pdf

from that article:

"Thus, the long-standing use of enamel wrinkles as a “key character” of carcharodontosaurids can no longer be supported, and
the common practice of assigning isolated teeth to Carcharodontosauridae based on the simple presence of wrinkles must be
abandoned"

Seems like i can add more pics now. Carcharodontosaurus, huh? No blood grooves?

IMG_20170724_175931.jpg

IMG_20170720_191107.jpg

- Indiana Jones

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! Thanx for the input! I think I can now safely put this one to bed and call the Carcharodontosaurus. No worries. I suspected that's what they were anyway and I paid a very cheap price cause the seller is a mate of mine. 

- Indiana Jones