Douglas Pass, Colorado?

Daveallen10

Ive found a site called "Douglas Pass, Colorado" that has an abundance of mostly non-marine Green River fossils. Ive found the location of Douglas Pass on google maps, and from street veiw I can see there are lots of outcroppings. The trouble is, I do not know which roadcuts, areas in this Pass are the best, and which have the Green River fossils in them.

I have tried to look up the exact locations on the internet, but I have had little success except knowing the general location. If I ever were to get to the area, I would want to be able to go right to a place where I can get to work, not have to go searching for the right layer or rock type (after a many-hour drive). If anyone has been to this location, or knows the area, could they direct me to a location that I can find on a map--or google maps? Also, a site that is free...one of the reasons I got so excited about this was because you dont have to pay a large fee to collect like in the Wyoming sites.

Thanks

Kirk talks about this locality in "Cruisin' the Fossil Freeway." Apparently a lot of it is on BLM land, especially around a big radar dome on top of a hill.

Yes, the best areas I have hunted are near the Radar Dome. There are a few cuts on the road up there but I've not found much in them. Technically any road cut you look at near the pass could contain fossils. Can't tell you to look for a specific layer or outcrop, it's basically a site where you start trying to split layers of the blue-gray (weathered) to light brown (fresh) rock. It's hard work and you get lots of little splinters and spalls but you often find something worthwhile. Mostly leaves and insects are found but most anything that could fall in a lake is possible.

Edit: Here are coordinates of the dome for use in google earth. 39°38'17.88"N 108°45'41.76"W

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Yep, right at the top. That is where I have collected. It has been a while since I have been there. I did ok back in the early days. Only spent one day at the top and came home with some insects. The road going up there was unpaved and as far as I was concerned unsafe. I have no idea what it is like these days.

crinus

Still unpaved but graded and gravel covered. They keep it safe enough for vehicles to get to the dome as long as you are careful and not driving too fast to fly off the edges.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Yes, the best areas I have hunted are near the Radar Dome. There are a few cuts on the road up there but I've not found much in them. Technically any road cut you look at near the pass could contain fossils. Can't tell you to look for a specific layer or outcrop, it's basically a site where you start trying to split layers of the blue-gray (weathered) to light brown (fresh) rock. It's hard work and you get lots of little splinters and spalls but you often find something worthwhile. Mostly leaves and insects are found but most anything that could fall in a lake is possible.

Edit: Here are coordinates of the dome for use in google earth. 39°38'17.88"N 108°45'41.76"W

Thanks a lot, that is very helpful. I was hoping to possibly make a stop there sometime if I can get that far out of the way. Would a wide/flat chisel (along with hammer) be strong enough to split the rock? Also, do you remember anything about permission needed to get near this radar dome?

Keep an eye out for feathers among the leaves and insects there :)

post-423-1248277213_thumb.jpg

post-423-1248277250_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ah! I'd forgotten about my feather when discussing Douglas Pass. I found this two years ago when the rock split just right. :)

Positive and negative of a bird feather with some color spots near the tip. Length of feather is approx. 1"

post-1408-1248294709_thumb.jpg post-1408-1248294714_thumb.jpg

-Dave

(Disclaimer: the following is not legal advice and neither I nor the forum can be held liable based on what you choose to do with my input)

It's essentially all BLM land, but collecting is usually okay as long as you follow all the BLM fossil collecting rules (aka: no vertebrate fossils, no selling or trading of finds, etc). Stay away from the radar dome itself and the surrounding fenced off area, the BLM got unhappy for a while when collectors got too close to the dome and closed the area for collecting (in 2005-6 i think?) for a while.

Print out and bring this brochure with you before collecting on BLM lands, it may come in handy if you run into authorities:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm...lic%20Lands.pdf

Also, be extremely careful driving up or down that road. I've fish-tailed TWICE while hitting the brakes when I was going over 30 mph, and since usually one edge of the road is a cliff with no guardrail and the other side a rock wall, it is very very easy to hurt yourself.

Now, to find good stuff, just go look through the tons of rocks and slabs lying around at outcrops along the road. If you start seeing leaves and insects, then you're in a good spot. If you see nothing, move on to the next outcrop. Also, look in the washout's and drainage areas for wash cleared layers. There were layer upon layer of nice big (up to 4") insect larvae exposed and easily collected from the washouts along the side of the road.

Also wander around carefully and look for places where collectors have collected before. Extensive collecting usually indicates a good zone and I know they've cleared off layers to key plant layers before.

BRING LOTS OF WATER. It gets hot up there and it is some 20-30 miles from any facilities or places that can sell you water.

Your basic rock hammer and a thin chisel would be good for splitting most of the material.

-YvW

Bird feathers, hmm. I'd love to see a full bird

Some Green River exposures are well known for fossil birds, but Douglass Pass is not one of them.

The area around Kemmerer is good for them.

post-423-1248355437_thumb.jpg

Though missing the skull, this one is very well preserved.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

(Disclaimer: the following is not legal advice and neither I nor the forum can be held liable based on what you choose to do with my input)

It's essentially all BLM land, but collecting is usually okay as long as you follow all the BLM fossil collecting rules (aka: no vertebrate fossils, no selling or trading of finds, etc). Stay away from the radar dome itself and the surrounding fenced off area, the BLM got unhappy for a while when collectors got too close to the dome and closed the area for collecting (in 2005-6 i think?) for a while.

Print out and bring this brochure with you before collecting on BLM lands, it may come in handy if you run into authorities:

Also, be extremely careful driving up or down that road. I've fish-tailed TWICE while hitting the brakes when I was going over 30 mph, and since usually one edge of the road is a cliff with no guardrail and the other side a rock wall, it is very very easy to hurt yourself.

Now, to find good stuff, just go look through the tons of rocks and slabs lying around at outcrops along the road. If you start seeing leaves and insects, then you're in a good spot. If you see nothing, move on to the next outcrop. Also, look in the washout's and drainage areas for wash cleared layers. There were layer upon layer of nice big (up to 4") insect larvae exposed and easily collected from the washouts along the side of the road.

Also wander around carefully and look for places where collectors have collected before. Extensive collecting usually indicates a good zone and I know they've cleared off layers to key plant layers before.

BRING LOTS OF WATER. It gets hot up there and it is some 20-30 miles from any facilities or places that can sell you water.

Your basic rock hammer and a thin chisel would be good for splitting most of the material.

-YvW

Thats great help and thanks for the brochure, I was having trouble finding any documentation myself.

That bird fossil is incredible.

Actually I looked up that "Cruisin the Fossil Freeway" someone mentioned--and apparently someone DID find a full bird fossil at the Douglas Pass site. I guess that you're not allowed to take them though, or must turn them in...

• 7 years later...
On 7/23/2009 at 2:39 AM, Fossilcollector said:

-YvW

that link no longer works, try this:

https://www.blm.gov/programs/cultural-heritage-and-paleontology/paleontology/rules-for-casual-collection