Auction Prep Part Deux

Ptychodus04

18 minutes ago, Haravex said:

I does not matter how much time it takes at the end of the day as each and every fossil is special, and a part of history that cannot be re-created and you for sure have done an amazing job in showing this fossil to its fullest potential, and again great prep work.

I totally agree. As a professional preparator, it brings me great joy to work on specimens for people who can’t or don’t want to prepare their own specimens. I’m currently working on some fish that were collected in the 1960s. 

12 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Fab prep Kris, great gif too and so cool you did the school thing, it’s such a buzz, I know. 

Bottled on the skirt I see. ;)

Thanks. I figured no skirt so I don’t make the Biology teacher feel inferior. 

• I found this Informative 1

Wow!  All those photo's in a few seconds!  Really cool.  I may have to do that with my latest project "Mystery Fossil Revealed".   Just gots to figure out how you did that. 

RB

11 minutes ago, RJB said:

Wow!  All those photo's in a few seconds!  Really cool.  I may have to do that with my latest project "Mystery Fossil Revealed".   Just gots to figure out how you did that. 

RB

I’ll send you the link when I get Rocky to the UPS office today. He’s currently riding in my truck.

• 3 months later...

Hey, @Ptychodus04, I just saw this post, great work!  I just picked up some unprepared slabs of fish from the 18” layer at the Tucson show.  Don’t laugh, but I don’t have an air scribe so I’m starting the prep using hand scribes I bought from Paleotools.  The matrix is hard like concrete but with enough patience I think I can eventually get it removed.  My question is what did you use as your air abrasive material for the final cleanup.  I assume it was either bicarbonate or dolomite, but I’m not sure how well they work on such hard matrix.

15 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Hey, @Ptychodus04, I just saw this post, great work!  I just picked up some unprepared slabs of fish from the 18” layer at the Tucson show.  Don’t laugh, but I don’t have an air scribe so I’m starting the prep using hand scribes I bought from Paleotools.  The matrix is hard like concrete but with enough patience I think I can eventually get it removed.  My question is what did you use as your air abrasive material for the final cleanup.  I assume it was either bicarbonate or dolomite, but I’m not sure how well they work on such hard matrix.

Have fun with that! It will keep you busy for quite a while. Simple baking soda is the abrasive I use for these guys. Dolomite is good also. I only use it for touch up work.

• I found this Informative 1

54 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Have fun with that! It will keep you busy for quite a while. Simple baking soda is the abrasive I use for these guys. Dolomite is good also. I only use it for touch up work.

I'm retired, so what else am I going to do?  :shrug:

On 10/24/2017 at 8:22 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

That was his baby picture. This is one that was taken recently...German-Shepherd-bares-its-teeth.jpg.d523fe21e1c8a999bdcbc5bb366c6c8f.jpg

This is just his look if one more person asks if they can help clean out his storage sheds.

Dorensigbadges.JPG