Auction Prep Part Deux

Ptychodus04

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Sorry man, Ive always liked you, just stirring the pot.  Im good at it.  But Ive got to go to my fossil shed and find you some unprepped fishy's before the real snows start a blowin.  There comes a time when i cant get to my other property.  Do you want a big one or some smaller ones?  :)  @Ptychodus04

RB

Real snows as in you already have some snow or just anticipation? I can remember getting feet of snow in Minnesota when I was a kid. It was awesome up until I had to shovel it off the driveway.

I really like stirring the pot myself. I get great enjoyment out of it.

As for unprepared fish, my current Green River collection includes only 2 fair Knightia. I’ll take anything you feel like sending my way. :D Everything you have is better than what I have already.

Besides, I haven’t finished Rocky yet. No putting the cart before the horse.

I’m up to a grand total of 16 hours now. The face is a real mess. Every single jaw element is displaced in one way or another. :( That being said, this fish displays some amazing depth as it is not nearly as crushed as others I’ve worked on.

Also, the area with the ribs is the interior of the body cavity with what appears to be some gut contents preserved. The black specks on the ventral side of the vertebrae are the attachment points for the ribs. It appears that they came off when the layer was split.

759752AC-5799-449F-A58E-00797D830C98.thumb.jpeg.7e989646bdde037de3fe884317ebdb6c.jpeg

@ynot Here’s a pic of the possible gut contents. Close to the spine is an obvious coprolite but the rest is hard to make out.

13F941C1-2556-4197-B122-779559B03FB4.thumb.jpeg.d5f7f418e647fa4559ddaa2d0f7ba80d.jpeg

I also included a close up of the skull for @Ludwigia

A78B53A2-C7BD-4E0E-95A2-8656FC5B4DA3.thumb.jpeg.b94f22fede8ad0c54817b346d06ce83e.jpeg

I can see now that you will have to leave the jaws the way they are.  Just the way it is.  Mother nature.  But I have to say, you are doing a great job!!!  Its lookin real good!!! 

RB

Funny  how I was going to prep out some fish this summer and didnt even get around to it.  and still getting one big one done.  Thank you o kind sir!!!    Believe me, I will send you some good stuff in return!!! 

RB

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I also included a close up of the skull for @Ludwigia

A78B53A2-C7BD-4E0E-95A2-8656FC5B4DA3.thumb.jpeg.b94f22fede8ad0c54817b346d06ce83e.jpeg

Thanks. Now I see not only two, but three, maybe even four sets of teeth. That poor guy was chewing every which-way, wasn't he?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 10/11/2017 at 0:01 AM, Ludwigia said:

Thanks. Now I see not only two, but three, maybe even four sets of teeth. That poor guy was chewing every which-way, wasn't he?

He reminds me of Agrajag from Life the Universe and Everything.

On 10/10/2017 at 6:53 PM, RJB said:

Funny  how I was going to prep out some fish this summer and didnt even get around to it.  and still getting one big one done.  Thank you o kind sir!!!    Believe me, I will send you some good stuff in return!!! 

RB

I bet this is the easiest fish you ever prepped. 

On 10/11/2017 at 1:01 AM, Ludwigia said:

Are those structures Roger is citing not displaced gill rakes, as opposed to teeth?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

35 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Are those structures Roger is citing not displaced gill rakes, as opposed to teeth?

Nope, Definitely teeth. I'd hate to see this guy try to eat an apple!

59df7e2571c07_FishHead.thumb.jpeg.8c598a80576f6651f6cd16a7c58122b8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

22 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Nope, Definitely teeth. I'd hate to see this guy try to eat an apple!

Yikes!

Thanks Kris, I have been assuming that the big ole fish is a Mioplosus sp. Am I incorrect? If so, I know they had teeth (Grande, 1984); but with the one I have prepped they are not visible, even though the mouth is gaped. This is leading me to believe (if the ID is correct) that those needle teeth you are identifying are only on display because of this critter's train wreck head. 

So, do you ID it as a Mio? Do you think the teeth will actually appear more robust, less needle-like when fully prepped? If so, get to work, inquiring minds want to see!

Great project, thanks for the detailed account.   

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

Yikes!

Thanks Kris, I have been assuming that the big ole fish is a Mioplosus sp. Am I incorrect? If so, I know they had teeth (Grande, 1984); but with the one I have prepped they are not visible, even though the mouth is gaped. This is leading me to believe (if the ID is correct) that those needle teeth you are identifying are only on display because of this critter's train wreck head. 

So, do you ID it as a Mio? Do you think the teeth will actually appear more robust, less needle-like when fully prepped? If so, get to work, inquiring minds want to see!

Great project, thanks for the detailed account.   

It is a Priscacara sp. :D

31 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It is a Priscacara sp.

Thanks Kris, that ID certainly fits better the total body shape. My Mio guess was based on my heuristic involving the apparent paired rearward fins. However, that does not address my visual short cut for Prisca ID - robust spines dorsal and ventral. I'm now assuming they are still occluded by matrix. Then again, I am not perceiving the tale-tell lumps in the matrix where those prominent structures should be. Regarding those needle teeth, Grande describes the Prisca's (at least Priscacara serrata), " massive phararyngeal bones covered with obtuse grinding (emphasis added) teeth, and probably fed mainly on snails and crustaceans."

You can see my confusion. But no matter, it's a great project and I'm sure your prep efforts will bring the critter into the light of day, revealing to all its true nature.  

• I found this Informative 1

@snolly50, I’ve been working on the thought that this big fish was a Pricacara, and it does resemble this fish as currently prepped. You sent me back to the books to question that ID based on the exposed teeth that are clearly NOT for grinding.

I am convinced my working ID is wrong. I believe that this is in fact a Phareodus. Maybe @sseth or @FossilDudeCO can chime in with their expert knowledge of GRF fish.

11 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Phareodus

Yes, the small Phareodus I prepped years ago has needlely teeth. Also the rearward paired fins fit that critter. If it is a Phary, it's a rarer fish. Like I said, I know your prep will reveal all!

I don't recall that you have given the size of this animal other than "big." However "big" fits Phareodus better than Priscacara. Check out the max sizes as a clue.

Good luck, great prep series.

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Yes, the small Phareodus I prepped years ago has needlely teeth. Also the rearward paired fins fit that critter. If it is a Phary, it's a rarer fish. Like I said, I know your prep will reveal all!

I don't recall that you have given the size of this animal other than "big." However "big" fits Phareodus better than Priscacara.

I have not measured this beast. I will tonight and post the results.

Phareodus for sure.

Missing much of his big pectoral fins that would have been a dead give away ;)

For some reason it is pretty common to find these guys with blown up heads!

Prep is looking good!

Thanks for the tag @Ptychodus04

• I found this Informative 4

8 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Phareodus for sure.

Prep is looking good!

Thanks for the confirmation Blake. These guys must have had extremely flexible faces for them to be blown up so often. 

48 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

These guys must have had extremely flexible faces for them to be blown up so often. 

Predator, piscivore, so a flex-face would come in handy for snaggin' the bigun.

11 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Phareodus for sure.

Prep is looking good!

Agreed.  Phareodus.  Great work.

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks for the confirmation Blake. These guys must have had extremely flexible faces for them to be blown up so often. 

Phareodus have really big scales.

Using the current theory that fish "blow up" due to the release of gas from the decay process, the thick scales are thought to protect the rest of the fish, and the mouth being a natural opening is the only way for the pressure to escape.

Just a nice pre-breakfast / lunch / dinner thought for everyone out there ;) 

• I found this Informative 3