Fiddling while Rome Burns, OR Fossil hunting while my home blows down

dalmayshun

Well, my wife wanted to attend her college reunion in Wisconsin. She was scheduled to fly out of ft Myers Sunday am, but with the hurricane scheduled for the same time, I suggested we travel to Atlanta, evacuating, and allow her to catch a plane from there. That being accomplished, I found myself with at least three days to hang around Atlanta. I remember reading about Tibbs Bridge and so decided to check it out.   what a beautiful place, and if you like trilobites, this place has one in practically every piece of muds stone. There are 6 - 8 different kinds of trilobites here. Many pieces, but some nice impressions also. I did find a pygidium and thorax molt that was intact and loose in its little impression niche, but the muds tone broke in half. I felt guilty having such a good time while Irma was assailing my home town, but it was a way to keep my mind off the possibilities... However horrific. The good news is my house is intact, guess those hurricane windows were a good investment. Please keep our area and all of Irma and Harvey's victims in your thoughts... And contribute if you can. I'm am adding an image of one of my favorite finds from this trip. Don't know what it is yet, I'll have to do some research when I get home. 

20170911_190735-picsay.jpg

Neat fossil bug! Glad to hear you all are well. It was pretty scary down here and a very big mess and will be for sometime. My wife convinced me to go to the shelter nearby for the night. I was looking at fossils online to pass thinking about it. Many folks slept thru it....Take care and good luck upon your return. 

Regards, Chris  

Ugh, I'll never get all the fun you fellows have in Florida/Texas being a Cali. And that impression looks really cool, like something ripped straight out of a museum (or blown away?)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

3 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

Well, my wife wanted to attend her college reunion in Wisconsin. She was scheduled to fly out of ft Myers Sunday am, but with the hurricane scheduled for the same time, I suggested we travel to Atlanta, evacuating, and allow her to catch a plane from there. That being accomplished, I found myself with at least three days to hang around Atlanta. I remember reading about Tibbs Bridge and so decided to check it out.   what a beautiful place, and if you like trilobites, this place has one in practically every piece of muds stone. There are 6 - 8 different kinds of trilobites here. Many pieces, but some nice impressions also. I did find a pygidium and thorax molt that was intact and loose in its little impression niche, but the muds tone broke in half. I felt guilty having such a good time while Irma was assailing my home town, but it was a way to keep my mind off the possibilities... However horrific. The good news is my house is intact, guess those hurricane windows were a good investment. Please keep our area and all of Irma and Harvey's victims in your thoughts... And contribute if you can. I'm am adding an image of one of my favorite finds from this trip. Don't know what it is yet, I'll have to do some research when I get home. 

20170911_190735-picsay.jpg

You have an Aphelaspis brachyphasis trilobite from the Cambrian Conasauga Formation. I believe that the only other trilobite that is found at that location are tiny Agnostida trilobites.

Oh, I didn't mean to mislead anyone, I guess I was writing from my thoughts during the storm. Re: the type of trilobite  thanks. I listed the several types of trilobites found in the conasauga formation according to that paper by David SCHWIMMER - he was probably referring to the entire formation, rather than this small site. Thanks 

@dalmayshun, so glad you had an opportunity to get out and collect during your evac and very happy about your home's status. I have family in FL and they are doing better than expected as well, but so many do need our help, if possible. 

Sending continued well wishes,

Leah

Glad you could get a little hunting in and that your house made it out in one piece:) was definitely a hectic week for most folks in the SE US 

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 4:52 AM, dalmayshun said:

Oh, I didn't mean to mislead anyone, I guess I was writing from my thoughts during the storm. Re: the type of trilobite  thanks. I listed the several types of trilobites found in the conasauga formation according to that paper by David SCHWIMMER - he was probably referring to the entire formation, rather than this small site. Thanks 

David Schwimmer the paleontologist or David Schwimmer the actor who played a paleontologist on Friends?

I'll bet that was an in-joke by the producers of Friends.

Seriously.

Tv-series  and movies are rife with in-jokes like that.

(thinking about "Syd Barrett" in Legion,e.g.)

Archived