Heading to WV This Weekend

I_gotta_rock

We are heading down to Athens, WV this weekend to visit some friends who just moved there from the midwest. None of the four of us knows the area. Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably short road trip to do some hunting in their vicinity?

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

got some ordovician trilobite frags along rt 77 near the tunnel south of there in VA back in the early 90s. Other road cuts south of there may produce similar aged rocks and fossils.

There is a "fossil guy" on the internet that makes mention of road cuts near Wardensville, WV and Delray, WV having fossils.  It's a a good drive NE of Athens but it might be worth checking on the way in or out depending on your route.

57 minutes ago, Adam86cucv said:

There is a "fossil guy" on the internet that makes mention of road cuts near Wardensville, WV and Delray, WV having fossils.  It's a a good drive NE of Athens but it might be worth checking on the way in or out depending on your route.

I just went to wardensville, got a few good trilobites, shells, and corals. If your in the area, it's a good one to check out.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I just went to wardensville, got a few good trilobites, shells, and corals. If your in the area, it's a good one to check out.

Good to know I have yet to make it out there. 

17 hours ago, Adam86cucv said:

Good to know I have yet to make it out there. 

The two hour drive is a hinderance, but for me it was worth it to get some trilos (only the second time I've ever found them). It is popular though, so you have to dedicate some time to it (I took about an hour and was lucky to find around seven mostly broken trilos).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason