9-12-17 Calvert Cliffs

paxhunter

So I believe we have finally rounded the summer corner the water was clear and calm. I waded for 4 miles round trip i found a bunch of small teeth and the tripmaker. I found a shaweeet meg and my first ever partial squaladon jawbone!!! All in all not a bad afternooon!

21727988_10203549559415283_7443727771899484282_n.jpg

Wow!

You must be psyched with that Meg! 

Congratulations - thanks for posting this. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What a fantastic pair of finds! :wub: Out of curiosity, what defines the jaw piece as a Squalodon as opposed to, say, a crocodile?

Don C

Very nice finds.  I'm trying to figure out when we can get back down that way before it gets too cold to for my son to wade around in the water.

27 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

What a fantastic pair of finds! :wub: Out of curiosity, what defines the jaw piece as a Squalodon as opposed to, say, a crocodile?

Don C

The reason it is squaladon arethe two distinct sets of different root holes it is right where the squaladon jaws goes from teeth with two roots to teeth with one which a crocodile wouldnt have

18 minutes ago, Adam86cucv said:

Very nice finds.  I'm trying to figure out when we can get back down that way before it gets too cold to for my son to wade around in the water.

Calvert Cliffs normally gets better from here on out the sand starts leaving and the water levels start to drop

Nice finds! I was down last week and had some good tides but still a lot of sand. Did find a small chub but lost it when I had to run from a cliff fall. Lost half of my goodies but no injuries so I guess that's all that matters? I'll get it back next time. Congrats!

1 minute ago, Ropterus said:

Nice finds! I was down last week and had some good tides but still a lot of sand. Did find a small chub but lost it when I had to run from a cliff fall. Lost half of my goodies but no injuries so I guess that's all that matters? I'll get it back next time. Congrats!

Hey I know what you mean no tooth is worth your life i have almost had a heart attack several times when sections of the cliff let go without warning. One night i was walking along and i saw a stream of dirt coming from a crack and i said well that doesnt look good then about 50 yds down was another line of sand pouring out well i picked up my pace and got out of that section and continued my walk. Well on my way back out the whole 50yd section had let loose and fell blocking the whole beach. The scariest part was i had to climb over the fallen section to get out I have never climbed that fast in my life.

Just now, paxhunter said:

Hey I know what you mean no tooth is worth your life i have almost had a heart attack several times when sections of the cliff let go without warning. One night i was walking along and i saw a stream of dirt coming from a crack and i said well that doesnt look good then about 50 yds down was another line of sand pouring out well i picked up my pace and got out of that section and continued my walk. Well on my way back out the whole 50yd section had let loose and fell blocking the whole beach. The scariest part was i had to climb over the fallen section to get out I have never climbed that fast in my life.

Yeah, it would be hard to get out of the way in time. I see people there (Brownies) with small kids all the time. I take my kids to Flag Ponds and to the cottages. A small kid wouldn't stand a chance by the time they knew what was happening. Glad you got out of the way in time. Must be really creepy at night. Bad enough during the day. Lol

42 minutes ago, paxhunter said:

The reason it is squaladon arethe two distinct sets of different root holes it is right where the squaladon jaws goes from teeth with two roots to teeth with one which a crocodile wouldnt have

Thanks for the explaination. :fistbump:

Don C

10 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Wow those are some sweet finds! You should post all the teeth you found. :wub:

will do in the future i just thought people might not want to see all the standard stuff 

Very cool finds!!! :wub:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Archived