Kane

A few weeks ago I had posted some finds from the imported fill from the Bois Blanc Fm, and one in particular that resembles a trilobite genal spine. I went back today to collect and photograph it. It appears in a sandy matrix reminiscent of the Springvale Mbr of the Bois Blanc Fm., lower Devonian. It is a fairly substantial size compared to the usual array of brachs, etc. 

I'd have to rule out Anchiopsis since they do not have such a long genal spine. I can probably also rule out the thick lip of a Leptaena brach. Total length of visible part of the specimen is a little over 40 mm, but is likely a bit longer.

The brown "crust" usually signals the presence of trilobite in these rocks. I have a piece of the imprint with more of the brown shell somewhere in the house. 

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks. :) 

IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_4156.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Finally relocated the impression side that has some of the "shell" stuck to it. Hopefully this adds another clue. 

IMG_4157.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one has weighed in on this.  :headscratch:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I'm surprised no one has weighed in on this.  :headscratch:

I know.  Usually if it's trilobite, @piranha can identify a 5mm fragment from 20 paces...

It's a gastropod. Either Orthonychia suberectum or one of the long straight Platyceras species like "preplexum or dentalium"  Do you have Linsley's Devonian Paleontology of New York, 1994? or find the original publications by Hall for NYS.

9 hours ago, erose said:

It's a gastropod. Either Orthonychia suberectum or one of the long straight Platyceras species like "preplexum or dentalium"  Do you have Linsley's Devonian Paleontology of New York, 1994? or find the original publications by Hall for NYS.

You may have solved this. :) The "wrinkling" near the wider end should have been a dead giveaway of a Platyceras. The only ones I am familiar with collecting are P. arkonense and P. conicum from the mid-Devonian at Arkona.

I actually do not have Linsley's book, but I will check to see if my institution does. Alternatively, I can dig around for those Hall papers. 

Thanks, erose! :dinothumb:

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

I actually do not have Linsley's book, but I will check to see if my institution does. Alternatively, I can dig around for those Hall papers. 

HERE in PDF Format    ;)

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

A gastropod?  Very interesting.  I cant see that as a gastropod though. Im having a hard time trying to imagine that in real life?  any pictures of what one would look like if alive?

RB

39 minutes ago, RJB said:

A gastropod?  Very interesting.  I cant see that as a gastropod though. Im having a hard time trying to imagine that in real life?  any pictures of what one would look like if alive?

RB

Here you go, Ron. 

These plates are from the referenced work by Linsley. 

Platycerids.jpg   onchy.jpg

Some Platycerids were coprophagic on crinoids and have been found directly attached to the anal openings on the top of the crinoid's calyx. With that in mind the shape makes more sense.  The one problem I had with the ones in Linsley, 1994 was the lack of stratigraphic data for some of them.  I have a handful of the original books with the lithographic plates. I'll see if these are in any of them and then see where they show up in the Devonian. That could help pin down the genus and species.

1 minute ago, erose said:

Some Platycerids were coprophagic on crinoids and have been found directly attached to the anal openings on the top of the crinoid's calyx. With that in mind the shape makes more sense.  The one problem I had with the ones in Linsley, 1994 was the lack of stratigraphic data for some of them.  I have a handful of the original books with the lithographic plates. I'll see if these are in any of them and then see where they show up in the Devonian. That could help pin down the genus and species.

Aye, they are regularly associated with crinoids. There is an amusing cartoon in my Kesling and Chilman text where the caption reads, "Satan himself could not pry Platyceras from the Arthrocantha". 

I should say that I am relatively unsure about the stratigraphy of this specimen given that the imported fill seems to be widely divergent from Bois Blanc, Amherstburg, and some Hamilton Gp. I am trying to get a clearer sense of it by examining some of the other fossils in this particular rock in the hopes of pinpointing some index fossils. This one even may be mid-Devonian as a similar rock sports a Eldredegops rana pygidium (perhaps, but I suppose I should put that up for ID). 

I have found quite a few gastro's in my day, but nothing quite like that.  Thanks for showing me. 

RB

Archived