Dimetrodon axis vertebra

dinodigger

Hey everyone, here is a really gorgeous axis vertebra from a Dimetrodon. The ultra wide neural spine holds incredible neck muscles. 

20170913_095254.jpg

Very Cool! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Awesome, as always!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Nice Chris. Was the rest of the vertebral column still present or is it an isolated find? How big would have this critter been? Regards, Chris  

3 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Nice Chris. Was the rest of the vertebral column still present or is it an isolated find? How big would have this critter been? Regards, Chris  

This one is an isolated find. It isnt a large one but more of a young adult of the gracefull loomisi species. Total length of the animal would have been 7 to 9 feet. A large grandis species of ddon pushes 15 feet. There do appear to be some little nibbles on the edge of the neural spine- most likely by the small freshwater shark orthacanthus, taking advantage of ddon carcases.

8 hours ago, dinodigger said:

This one is an isolated find. It isnt a large one but more of a young adult of the gracefull loomisi species. Total length of the animal would have been 7 to 9 feet. A large grandis species of ddon pushes 15 feet. There do appear to be some little nibbles on the edge of the neural spine- most likely by the small freshwater shark orthacanthus, taking advantage of ddon carcases.

Thanks for the additional info! Helps my wild imagination with the scene before their burial. I know this neat critter we saw in Hawaii recently in a zoo is a reptile and the ddon was not (still over in the Pelycosaurs?) an entirely different grouping,

Dragon.thumb.jpg.756ee155ccb901f252337ec203b7e4ed.jpg

but I can imagine bulking up this body form and putting a sail on it just to visualize your extinct critter finds. My old paleo instructor is probably doing more than grumbling right now (you might as well) as I blend and abuse this critters/taxonomy in my mind. I just cant help it. LOL. 

Thanks again. 

Regards, Chris 

10 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Thanks for the additional info! Helps my wild imagination with the scene before their burial. I know this neat critter we saw in Hawaii recently in a zoo is a reptile and the ddon was not (still over in the Pelycosaurs?) an entirely different grouping,

Dragon.thumb.jpg.756ee155ccb901f252337ec203b7e4ed.jpg

but I can imagine bulking up this body form and putting a sail on it just to visualize your extinct critter finds. My old paleo instructor is probably doing more than grumbling right now (you might as well) as I blend and abuse this critters/taxonomy in my mind. I just cant help it. LOL. 

Thanks again. 

Regards, Chris 

Fantastic image. i cant help but imagine the same.  thanks!

Archived