ID help?? North Sulphur River Find

shel67

I found this strange little piece over the weekend on the North Sulphur River in Ladonia, Texas.  It feels like stone and is fairly lightweight.  It is 2 1/2 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide at its widest point.  It has a slight curve to its shape and has "C" shaped grooves on each side.  Any ideas?? 

IMG_5421.JPG

IMG_5423.JPG

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5417.JPG

IMG_5418.JPG

IMG_5419.JPG

Light, stony, and porous, signs that may suggest that this time its a fossilized bone. It reminds me of a partial pelvis, but honestly I dont know anything further than the fact that its probably a bone.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I'm afraid that I have to disagree with Macrophyseter on this one.  I don't see any of the characteristics that one would expect to see if it were bone...even very water-worn bone.  It looks a lot like an unusually-shaped piece of sedimentary rock to me.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Well shel, first of all you really need to place a scale item for people to give you some info you can trust.

Next is: Someone really needs to be your mentor.

If anyone with experience on the Ladonia area fossil stuff could be at your beckon call they would be able to help you a great deal.

Partnering up with someone may be your best bet. It is never a good idea to go alone.

Now, on with my opinion. It may be a piece of bone that is quite fragmentary and to pin it down to species would border on the impossible.

There is one area of your specimen that looks suspiciously like tooth puncture along one side. The two areas have some distinctive cracking and may indicate predation.

Your fragment may be the exterior of a much larger bone and along with predation and weathering it came down to this.

It has some curvature that "looks" like bone structure but without the interior tell-tale marrow to positively nail down bone Vs. stone it's a hard call

without some hands on evaluation.

If your curiosity is still peaked on your specimen try to take it to the next Dallas Paleo meeting. You could at least clear the call on bone vs. stone.                                                         Jess B.

Archived