Cretaceous Shark tooth, Vancouver Island, ID?

Wrangellian

I know next to nothing about shark teeth but I take it this is a cow shark? I know some of you are shark tooth fanatics who I hope can narrow down the possibilities for me.

I have difficulty getting good pics of this little thing... I could try for some better ones if necessary. The tooth itself is split between both parts of the matrix.

Haslam Formation (Nanaimo Group), Cowichan Valley Vancouver Isl. (my usual collecting site, up the mtn.)

This is only the 3rd shark tooth I've ever found, only two of which I still have, and the only one from Mt Tzuhalem so far.

skarktooth1.jpg

skarktooth2.jpg

Looks like a cowshark tooth. 

edit: On Hornby Island, three genera of cowsharks are listed and might be found in your area. They are Hexanchus, Heptranchias and Notidanodon.

I agree, one of the cowshark genera.  That is a rare find in the Haslam, indeed they are not common anywhere in the Cretaceous.  Perhaps that one is worth having it properly prepped, I think the two sides could be glued together and then the shale could be removed to expose the intact tooth.  I have one from the Nanaimo shale pit, but like yours it split through the tooth, and unlike yours it is in a very hard concretion so probably impossible to prep into anything decent looking.

Nice find!

Don C

Cool, and like Don says, glue back together and prep.  Pick the best side to keep, cut out the other piece while leaving it in some shale, then glue back on and prep.  and maybe cut off some excess matrix when done.  Good luck

RB

Hey Wrangellian

Nice find and yeah you tooth could be prepped by a professional.  There are a couple of guys on the Island that have been working on shark teeth of Hornby Island and a publication should come out of it.  Fossilie, a FF member may be able to help you on an ID or turn you on to someone that can.  

Nice find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks all, I will look into having it prepped but not sure who I would get to do that. I can see that it can be done - reunited and prepped out from one side or the other. I might just donate it to the museum and let them handle it. I am planning to donate some stuff before winter anyway.

Archived