Halisaurus Jaw Sections, minor prep

snolly50

A package arrived from Spain. Its ill-used appearance caused initial concern, but all was well inside.

DSCN2082p.thumb.jpg.2e633f27cd1fa8eda6fa171456472092.jpg

Within the box - two fossil specimens IDed as: Halisaurus; Upper Cretaceous, Maastrichtian stage; Ouled Abdoun Basin (Phosphate beds); Oued Zem, Morocco. 

Forum member jnoun11 graciously reviewed photos and provided additional refinement of the ID and the life position of the sections.

Halisaurus arambourgi 

The two jaw sections. upon arrival

DSCN2090p.thumb.jpg.8a5c3212a33186fe4096172f9890dcf8.jpg

Right dentary, lingual aspect, 4.56 inches

DSCN2086p.thumb.jpg.187518fcdbf3bc0c4fa51e480cdc0631.jpg

Left maxillary, 5.23 inches

DSCN2087p.thumb.jpg.9dab3071939b2615fc5ee9b2b23b629c.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The matrix partially obscuring the pieces has a pronounced granular character. It is easily abraded away with simple hand tools. A pin vise and carbide needle with a chisel tip were the only tools required beyond a very soft, post-surgery toothbrush. It was decided for display, that it was desirable to leave the pieces partially embedded in matrix; but to free enough to clearly show the fossil.

Here is the lower with the desired prep mostly done.

DSCN2092p.thumb.jpg.ad01f34f921f00d33bed97be68dcd067.jpg

The maxillary section presented a little less straight forward challenge. Here is that piece with prep well underway.

DSCN2098p.thumb.jpg.56fa4977b6a41f2e7d4a0f5150870af2.jpg

The matrix surrounding this piece displayed several deep fractures. Would it be best to squirt in some glue or should the material be removed? I still wished to retain enough matrix to provide an eye-pleasing display; but was curious that the cracked areas may be separating from additional exciting material.

DSCN2113p.thumb.jpg.fb9d05341a3d93001ed725292bd8754c.jpg

Curiosity won, and with some caution (but not much) a thin splitting chisel was applied.

DSCN2117p.thumb.jpg.537a121c5e305b113004aca74096b3cc.jpg

First a little, then a big section of matrix fell away - revealing the reverse of the already visible jaw and another large bone piece. Here is that view after clean-up.

DSCN2131p.thumb.jpg.0292c65ee7a768a5395eed352974bece.jpg

To be continued....

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

The matrix partially obscuring the pieces has a pronounced granular character. It is easily abraded away with simple hand tools. A pin vise and carbide needle with a chisel tip were the only tools required beyond a very soft, post-surgery toothbrush. It was decided for display, that it was desirable to leave the pieces partially embedded in matrix; but to free enough to clearly show the fossil.

Here is the lower with the desired prep mostly done.

The maxillary section presented a little less straight forward challenge. Here is that piece with prep well underway.

The matrix surrounding this piece displayed several deep fractures. Would it be best to squirt in some glue or should the material be removed? I still wished to retain enough matrix to provide an eye-pleasing display; but was curious that the cracked areas may be separating from additional exciting material.

Curiosity won, and with some caution (but not much) a thin splitting chisel was applied.

First a little, then a big section of matrix fell away - revealing the reverse of the already visible jaw and another large bone piece. Here is that view after clean-up.

To be continued....

Really nice pieces Jon and your prep work is great. Looking forward to the next episode of the thread. :popcorn:

Nice job! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The characteristics of the matrix from this Moroccan locale merit comment. As mentioned due to its sandy, granular nature it scrapes away with relative ease. The fact that it seems comprised of relatively large grains cemented together lends to the illusion that no airborne dust is created when it is disturbed. This is not the case. Strong light reveals thick plumes of extremely fine airborne particles are present especially as loose material is brushed away. A simple dust mask would be a prudent measure when working this material. In prep I employed the tactic of lightly wetting the surface to be worked. This cuts down on dust and the damp matrix falls away in small clumps as opposed to individual grains. In fact the material was so hydrophilic, I wondered if soaking could be employed in prepping of this material. That is, assuming someone wished to free the fossil entirely. 

I popped off a small piece of matrix and secured a tiny shard of bone from the block. Here is a close-up of the tool used in this prep.

DSCN2108p.jpg.88e9ab45f0767970071e9ace5d1fda89.jpg

I dropped them into a container of water and the next day the matrix was easily deconstructed by a touch of the needle; while the bone shard resisted pressure and remained unchanged.

DSCN2126p.thumb.jpg.4e4d54b5a9073c3893aad72063248fa7.jpg

Emboldened by this success, I dropped the large piece of matrix shown at the bottom of this photo into a container of water.

DSCN2148p.thumb.jpg.11bd81743bc8af79b0355a06781b7c9d.jpg

Almost immediately, a "landslide" of grains started separating from the piece. This occurred spontaneously with no mechanical intervention.

DSCN2152p.thumb.jpg.b476afe817923372cc23e4203e857729.jpg

The following day the block of matrix was easily broken up with the needle; however, there remained clumps were the bond appeared stronger. This included areas immediately adjacent to fossil material. Here is the deconstructed matrix and a few bits recovered from the sandy slush.

DSCN2155.thumb.JPG.06afa1e109c899efa8128071ac95ae15.JPG

This small experiment suggests to me that soaking may be a useful technique in the prep of material from this source. That is, assuming complete removal of matrix is desired. Of course there are caveats and concerns. Many times a fossil is "held together" by the matrix. Dissolving away the matrix support has the potential of unwanted consequences. 

To be continued...

This was a fun, relatively easy prep. I am very pleased with the finished pieces, lacking only appropriate display stands. As demonstrated, this material can be prepped with only simple tools and would be an ideal project for someone just starting in prepping. 

There are some areas of concern; safety and acquiring a genuine piece without getting snookered on the price. In addition, that great pitfall of all prepping, ham-handedness, is always a concern. It is so easy, when concentrating on one part of a fossil to mishandle another part. Prepping requires moving the fossil about, but it is all to common to grab a vulnerable part in doing so. 

Here are the finished pieces. The first photo is of the section of mandible. The next two images are of the "front and back" of the maxillary section.

DSCN2158ac.thumb.jpg.9cb6f98a1a2ccb86c464b72fbbed0eb0.jpg

DSCN2163ac.thumb.jpg.82fa2f115e3bd1d6f4aef15e643739c7.jpg

DSCN2169ac.thumb.jpg.7ca3d9842ca6444c26299e4de232493a.jpg

10 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Very nice! Are these two pieces associated at all?

I wish I knew. No such claim was made by the seller; but I have no idea how many hands these passed through from the discoverer to me. I will make no such assertion, but I will display the sections together; probably on the same stand. At least that's my early thinking as to display options. 

Having "played" with a few chunks of this matrix (I had a few that didn't have much in the way of showy fossils exposed), I attempted the soak method with incrediblely disasterous results. The bone just disintegrated along with the matrix.

I would recommend the slower patient mechanical removal of matrix just to be safe.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

38 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Having "played" with a few chunks of this matrix (I had a few that didn't have much in the way of showy fossils exposed), I attempted the soak method with incrediblely disasterous results. The bone just disintegrated along with the matrix.

I would recommend the slower patient mechanical removal of matrix just to be safe.

Thanks, I was hoping there would be some comments offered regarding the "soak" method. Even if I had wished these pieces to be prepped free; I would not have risked a try, fearing the loss of nice specimens. The tiny shard of bone in my example did OK; but I think your experience sounds a real alarm of caution.  Thanks again.

12 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Thanks, I was hoping there would be some comments offered regarding the "soak" method. Even if I had wished these pieces to be prepped free; I would not have risked a try, fearing the loss of nice specimens. The tiny shard of bone in my example did OK; but I think your experience sounds a real alarm of caution.  Thanks again.

I've had some success with soaking some Khouribga fossils in water. I had some weird fish jaw piece that was really fragile. I had prepped it from one side and consolidated it with cyanoacrylate. There were some fragile parts sticking into the matrix. So I dropped the whole piece of matrix in some water. The matrix dissolved nicely. The bone I strengthened with cyanoacrylate survived with some damage because it did become very fragile. But those parts that I freed with the water were so fragile that I wouldn't have been able to prep those manually. So on that bone I think it was the right choice. A few other bones that I didn't consolidate in the same piece of matrix completely dissintegrated though.

In other cases I've had the matrix just become a little mushy and not fall apart at all, so I guess it all depends on the situation. But cyanoacrylate definitely helps.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

What a fantastic end result. I goes to show that with the right tools and patience you can produce a fantastic display piece. Very enjoyable reading too Mister S. 

Thanks John. It was a fun product. Thanks also to the others with comments and especially those that reported experience with "soaking" matrix.

• 3 weeks later...

From the start of this prep snolly was thinking of ways to display the jaw sections. Finally, an idea from several years back was tried. A few years ago a wild cherry tree at the lakefront on the grounds of the snolly Kingdom went to that great forest in the sky, leaving behind its earthly corpus. Well, a chainsaw served as undertaker. However, snolly cleverly saved some slabs of the attractive wood with the idea of cobbling together fossil stands. 

The wooden rounds languished in the snollygarage, awaiting their moment of glory. Here are a couple of representative slabs. They are roughly 6 inches across. 1 1/2 inches thick.

DSCN2209ac.thumb.jpg.598e352c3fa88e5c5b18c4507ca1e875.jpg

As can be seen, the slabs are rustic; chainsaw marred, split in drying, bark with lichen and moss mostly left in place. Had a planer been available the chainsaw grooves could have been removed and the wood finished to furniture quality. However, "you got to run with what you brought to the track," so the rustic look was embraced. The high spots were hit with an electric sander (it would have taken the rest of snolly's natural life to sand out the chain marks). A light coat of cherry stain was applied and the slabs sprayed with clear satin polyurethane.

To hold the fossil pieces 1/8 inch brass rod stock was bent to custom configurations. An inexpensive wire jig was employed. However, in snolly's limited experience a smaller gauge rod would make forming much easier. The 1/8 inch rod stock is very rigid and sturdy. It appears more than adequate for this application.

Here is the finished wood slab with the brass rods inserted. This configuration was for the maxillary jaw section.   

DSCN2246ac.thumb.jpg.9f017d369a8ee507bcfcd91f791e703b.jpg

For the heavier, more bulky mandible section a different support tactic was employed.

DSCN2255ac.thumb.jpg.9c631bb96d716e340973f0b728e304fa.jpg

Here are the Halisaurus jaw sections mounted on their display stands.

DSCN2253ac.thumb.jpg.bc89f1d2eb5005ca2c5150493232c60e.jpg

DSCN2259ac.thumb.jpg.f24a0d16cd7696565b6296a4719e846b.jpg

Here is a display constructed in the same manner for the teeth of Prognathodon anceps

DSCN2238ac.thumb.jpg.d5567f5e213f81b2e6baab9af17c029d.jpg

Finally, here are the fossils and stands undergoing a trial placement in a corner of the living room of Palatial snolly Manor. This was a fun project.

DSCN2264ac.thumb.jpg.0b435d1a12b8aa13d4f43eb0e7ae3902.jpg

They look great John, but the big question on everyone's mind is how is the Snolly wife taking to the new decor?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

They look great John, but the big question on everyone's mind is how is the Snolly wife taking to the new decor?

Thanks for asking. The snollywife recently received a new diamond ring. snolly will be able to get away with quite a bit - for a while.

However, the final resting place for these pieces has yet to be determined. Display surfaces are getting more and more crowded. It may be getting close to time for some new display cabinetry.   

Well now that you've gotten the little misses buttered up with sparklies, it might be a good time to spring the whole taking over her wardrobe closet for display purposes concept.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Excellent acquisition.  Excellent prep.  Excellent display.  Excellent tale.  Excellent wife.  

I guess I could add... excellent husband.  : )

48 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Well now that you've gotten the little misses buttered up with sparklies, it might be a good time to spring the whole taking over her wardrobe closet for display purposes concept.

LOL I better not press my luck. I don't even go in there. If one of those clothes rods gave way, a person could be crushed to death under the tons of falling wardrobe.

44 minutes ago, jpc said:

Excellent acquisition.  Excellent prep.  Excellent display.  Excellent tale.  Excellent wife.  

I guess I could add... excellent husband.  : )

Thanks for the kind words. I know you appreciate the great worth of having a partner, who either shares your interests or fully appreciates its value to you. I often tease about the snollywife, but in reality I am among the most fortunate of Men. 

8 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Thanks for the kind words. I know you appreciate the great worth of having a partner, who either shares your interests or fully appreciates its value to you. I often tease about the snollywife, but in reality I am among the most fortunate of Men. 

Truer words have never been spoken. None of my wife's friends understand why she "lets" me have an entire room of the house for fossils. :D She also pretends to care when I open my mouth and fossil words start coming out.

I would argue that it's not just for fossils. I also have some antique schoolhouse maps from my family homestead, my chess table, and it's where my boys play their trombone/french horn and I (very occasionally) play my trumpet. But, it's mostly for fossils.

De gustibus non est disputandum 

The Mosasaur displays have now moved to what will be their "permanent" home. This post has raised the issue of the place of fossils in "decor."  Designers have long used large scale or striking natural objects as focal points in a room. A large fossil fish slab or amethyst cathedral are good examples. This is based on visual appeal and novelty alone without any regard to the "science" of the object. However, it is believed that the fossil enthusiast can benefit from the pure decorator value of fossil pieces; and with subtle labeling, exercise the scientific side of their interest.

snolly of course believes in the intrinsic beauty many fossils possess and feels that they are appropriately used to enhance the visual appeal of a living area. It is also felt that fossil pieces can be compatible, blending with furniture and art, that may be considered more conventional.

The image shows a corner of snolly's formal living room. The fossils rest on an antique, mahogany, Duncan Phyfe, lyre based, parlor table. They are accompanied by a brass ship's compass. The fossil's rustic stands and the fossils themselves provide a contrast (it is hoped not jarring) to the formal furniture. Beside, is an antique rocker, it's worn, silk, large floral print fabric replaced with a modern, small floral material. Another small parlor table with a pie crust top supports old family photos and a Riker mount with Hadrosaur teeth. Visible on the walls are an antique oil portrait from the snollywife's family and a section of an antique silk kimono.  

The juxtaposition of these desparate elements snolly finds pleasing. In addition it allows expression and enjoyment of his interest in fossils.

DSCN2273ac.thumb.jpg.50c6987d7c807d2ad9f09d71a9d5a922.jpg

Archived