ID please!

Darko

I bought today these two ammonites founded in Serbia (Stara Planina).Can anyone tell me which species is this? Thanks again!

1505557748925-727862327.jpg

1505557837592402406970.jpg

15055578964841994039515.jpg

15055579433841095475182.jpg

Hard to tell what genus and species, but it is definitly lower to middle Jurassic in age. Maybe that helps a little. look therein for 

Rabrenović D., Radulović V., Bošković D. (1997) Kimmeridgian ammonites of Stara Planina (Carpatho balkanides, Eastern Serbia) // Ann. Géol. Penins. Balk. T.61. no.1. P.221-245

• I found this Informative 3

8 minutes ago, andreas said:

Hard to tell what genus and species, but it is definitly lower to middle Jurassic in age. Maybe that helps a little. look therein for 

Rabrenović D., Radulović V., Bošković D. (1997) Kimmeridgian ammonites of Stara Planina (Carpatho balkanides, Eastern Serbia) // Ann. Géol. Penins. Balk. T.61. no.1. P.221-245

Thanks for info!

I think these are internal molds with the outside somewhat worn, that makes it hard. Aspidoceras is a good guess based on shape I think, but as you know I'm no expert.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I suppose they are Kimmeridgian ammonites from the 'ammonitico rosso' (red micritic limestone) segment.

59bd4b82bf961_Fig.2..jpg.f33323565d279cfe31457ff11affe751.jpg

Here is the document recommended by andreas .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Just to add to the confusion, Andreas is right in saying that they could be lower or middle Jurassic, but they could just as well be upper Jurassic as well. Doesn't look to me like Aspidoceras, which is an upper Jurassic genera. They have nodes on the inner and/or outer bugs and have a wide whorl breadth. Yours look narrow from here. Pity you can't give us more precise stratigraphical information. That would help a lot in narrowing down the possibilities. A bit of preparation would help as well in order to see the sculpture in more detail; that is, if it can even be seen on the steinkern.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Just to add to the confusion, Andreas is right in saying that they could be lower or middle Jurassic, but they could just as well be upper Jurassic as well. Doesn't look to me like Aspidoceras, which is an upper Jurassic genera. They have nodes on the inner and/or outer bugs and have a wide whorl breadth. Yours look narrow from here. Pity you can't give us more precise stratigraphical information. That would help a lot in narrowing down the possibilities. A bit of preparation would help as well in order to see the sculpture in more detail; that is, if it can even be seen on the steinkern.

I can't give you more info cause i bought it from one guy who found these two fellas in Stara Planina Mountain in Serbia...He only knows that he found an ammonite and that's all...That's not enough for me.I search whole day and it says that the most founded specimens are Aspidoceras.Because of that i guess that maybe my two specimens are that species.

You can definitely see suture lines but unfortunately I am not expert enough to correlate them with species.

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

The few sutures that can be seen also don't fit to Aspidoceras.

Then what can that be?

4 hours ago, Darko said:

Then what can that be?

Sorry, I can't say any more until I know more details about the precise stratigraphy and can see more of the sculpture. Otherwise it's just guess work.

8 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Sorry, I can't say any more until I know more details about the precise stratigraphy and can see more of the sculpture. Otherwise it's just guess work.

1505676851260307133322.jpg

15056769256361228888711.jpg

1505676990021994765704.jpg

15056772644411679333076.jpg

I'm sure no one is more familiar in ammonites than you, Roger.
Also, I think that the specimens in question might be from the species described in the document mentioned before.
The reddish color of them make me think that they could be from the 'ammonitico rosso'-Kimmeridgian limestone, not the grayish upper one, but it's just a guess.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

22 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I'm sure no one is more familiar in ammonites than you, Roger.
Also, I think that the specimens in question might be from the species described in the document mentioned before.
The reddish color of them make me think that they could be from the 'ammonitico rosso'-Kimmeridgian limestone, not the grayish upper one, but it's just a guess.

It appears that these ammonites have similarities with Holcophylloceras polyolcum and Tarameliceras compsum compsum.That's my guess of course:D...

15 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I hate to disappoint you again, but it's neither the one nor the other. Try following up on Abyssunder's suggestion.

But i'm already following his suggestion...

No,it's ok,that's your opinion.I have mine and that's it. I've done some smaller research and for me it does look like one of the two species...I'm probably wrong but for me it does look like that.

8 hours ago, Darko said:

I'm probably wrong but for me it does look like that.

Under those circumstances, it would be best for you to place a question mark beside the name you choose for your data. It's not always possible to give samples an identification down to the species immediately, even with things where all information is available, so sometimes it's just best to give it a non det. id and wait patiently until inspiration comes along.

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Under those circumstances, it would be best for you to place a question mark beside the name you choose for your data. It's not always possible to give samples an identification down to the species immediately, even with things where all information is available, so sometimes it's just best to give it a non det. id and wait patiently until inspiration comes along.

Ok,thanks for advice.