Max-fossils

Hi all,

Anyone know what species/genus this bivalve steinkern is? It's from Rivière-sur-Tarn, a location in France that yields fossils from the Toarcian stage of the early Jurassic (approx 180 mya). 

Best regards,

Max

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 hour ago, Darko said:

Nice one! 

Thanks Darko

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

However, I wast just reading a book about fossils and there i saw a picture of a spiriferina sp. . This might be a better determination than digonella sp.

1 hour ago, gigantoraptor said:

Might be a digonella sp.? I'm not sure at all on this one.

Edit: I think it might be pathollogical.

39 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

However, I wast just reading a book about fossils and there i saw a picture of a spiriferina sp. . This might be a better determination than digonella sp.

You're in the wrong field there, friend ;)

This is a bivalve steinkern, and you're suggesting brachiopods...

I still appreciate the help, thanks!

Max Derème

20 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Perhaps a Pholadomya?

Maybe. But I'm not finding any Pholadomya steinkerns pictures to compare with...

Max Derème

No, it's not pathological. Comparative steinkerns are the below ones from Toarcian-Pliensbachian of Aveyron, France.

IMG_1234.JPG.9b86c52a0e378ae32f28edd7ad2cd839.thumb.JPG.91cc8689220051f8e229c8766ff544ab.JPG59bd894c9513e__57.thumb.JPG.20acc82e0224ce9bd9ea00674417d7dd.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

19 hours ago, abyssunder said:

No, it's not pathological. Comparative steinkerns are the below ones from Toarcian-Pliensbachian of Aveyron, France.

IMG_1234.JPG.9b86c52a0e378ae32f28edd7ad2cd839.thumb.JPG.91cc8689220051f8e229c8766ff544ab.JPG59bd894c9513e__57.thumb.JPG.20acc82e0224ce9bd9ea00674417d7dd.JPG

The odd "spongy" thing on mine is indeed just detritus, and I think it can be taken off with some prepping. Indeed no pathology on this one!

if the genus of this one is indeed Pholadomya, then the species will be P. voltzii Link as it's the only Pholadomya of the Toarcian of France. 

Thanks everyone!

Max Derème

1 minute ago, marguy said:

maybe Palaeonucula   (? P. hammeri, toarcian)

Thanks for the help, that does seem like a good match! :D

Max Derème

Archived