Max-fossils

Hi all,

Anyone know what species/genus this gastropod is? Never seen anything like this one before... It's from Rivière-sur-Tarn, a location in France that yields fossils from the Toarcian stage of the early Jurassic (approx 180 mya). 

Best regards,

Max

IMG_1229.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hi Max

Could it be a Nuculana? Just a wild guess ... 

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

59 minutes ago, belemniten said:

Hi Max

Could it be a Nuculana? Just a wild guess ... 

At first I thought you meant Nucula, which I wouldn't have agreed with. But Nuculana does seem like a good match! I'll do some more research to see if I can narrow it down to species. 

Thanks a lot Sebastian!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

IMG_5200.JPG.8e0932f2250a1b77546e090050271e15.thumb.JPG.110e67ac11d2f6a6f0e739a365722c97.JPG

comparative image from here

for ID ask nala :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

IMG_5200.JPG.8e0932f2250a1b77546e090050271e15.thumb.JPG.110e67ac11d2f6a6f0e739a365722c97.JPG

comparative image from here

for ID ask nala :)

Max Derème

I found it. It looks to be the nuculanid Leda rostralis. link

567133.jpg.2935cc250f6092e28d30a3a4ae3365bc.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

21 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I found it. It looks to be the nuculanid Leda rostralis. link

567133.jpg.2935cc250f6092e28d30a3a4ae3365bc.jpg

That's a good reference, and looks strikingly like mine. But, I like to use Fossilworks.org , and they don't talk about any Leda rostralis in France. They do talk about a Leda lacryma, but looking at pictures it doesn't seem to be the best match. Those are the species that occur in the region we are looking for: http://fossilworks.org/bridge.pl?a=collectionSearch&collection_no=51608 (scroll down to Nuculanidae). The Nuculana species could also be good matches...

What's your opinion?

Max Derème

Hi @Max-fossils!

I recently did a trade with @nala, and included in the package he sent were two cute little bivalves that look like yours from the Toarcian of Rivière sur Tarn Aveyron France, and he labeled them as Nuculana rostralis, so perhaps that's what you have?

Monica

12 hours ago, Monica said:

Hi @Max-fossils!

I recently did a trade with @nala, and included in the package he sent were two cute little bivalves that look like yours from the Toarcian of Rivière sur Tarn Aveyron France, and he labeled them as Nuculana rostralis, so perhaps that's what you have?

Monica

Géry must be right then. Thanks a lot Monica!!! :D

Max Derème

2 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Géry must be right then. Thanks a lot Monica!!! :D

You're very welcome, although the real person to thank is Gery (Thanks, @nala :))

1 minute ago, Monica said:

You're very welcome, although the real person to thank is Gery (Thanks, @nala :))

True :ighappy:

Max Derème

Archived