Max-fossils

Hi all,

Here a shark tooth from Balegem, Belgium. From the Lede Sand formation. From the Lutetian stage of the Eocene (45 mya). I'm thinking Lamna nasus, but I'm not sure... Anyone know the species?

Thanks in advance,

Max

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Looks like a nice Jaekolotodus trigonalis to me. How did you get this tooth? I'm from Belgium, and Balegem is closed for a while already.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, gigantoraptor said:

Looks like a nice Jaekolotodus trigonalis to me. How did you get this tooth? I'm from Belgium, and Balegem is closed for a while already.

I know that Balegem is indeed closed since some time (shame!). I got a whole bunch of Balegem fossils in the Fossil Fair of Oss (November 2016) from an old collection. In March, I bought during the Fossil Fair Ede 2017 some fossils from Egem, another closed location in Belgium of the same style. I got quite lucky!

I'm not exactly sure of your ID though... Could you maybe show a picture of where you have that ID from?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

7 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

I made this ID based on this:

Shark-teeth-from-lamniform-Lamnidae-Jaeckelotodontidae-sharks-from-different-jaw.png

I see a little bit more of a resemblance now. Still not completely sure, but I'll put it down as this for now.

Max Derème

• 10 months later...

Hello,

could you inform me where this picture is from? Is this from a book? If so I would like to know the title and perhaps how to get it.

I also have several teeth from Balegem and Egem and trying to determine them as much as possible.

On 8/12/2018 at 6:57 PM, Alberto Shark said:

thanks but it is not updated anymore for a while..

Doesn’t matter, the website is fantastic. I use it too. 

For the teeth from Egem, you’ll be looking at the Tielt Formation (Ypresian stage of the early Eocene). 

For the teeth from Balegem, you’ll be looking at the Lede Sands (Lutetian stage of the Eocene). 

The website has many pictures of lots of different species, each catalogued by which formation they come from. It’s very good to help you ID your teeth. 

Also, it was last updated in 2011, which, yes, is 7 years ago, but that doesn’t make the site useless. Most books you’ll find will be much much older (and obviously those books can’t be updated once they’re on the market). So the site proposed by Troodon is pretty much the best option available to ID your teeth, and it’s a fantastic option too. ;) 

Max Derème