Mystery Vert From Big Brook in N.J.

njfossilhunter

I have been working a Cretaceous site in Big Brook in Monmouth County in New Jersey for many Years now and found a lot of stuff in the past but never seen this little vert before and I have really now clue what it is... So any input or help would be great. The vert measures 15mm at it longest point. 

vertm-tile.jpg

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

10 hours ago, ynot said:

Looks reptilian to Me, maybe a turtle(?).

Thanks for your imput.....I figured it could be reptile Maybe someone here will be able to ID this thing to what it is.

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

2 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

Hi, since it looks like a reptile bone, I am going to agree with the turtle vertebra identification. Can you please take some pictures of the side opposite the side that is shown in the first picture (the one in the upper left corner of the set of pictures)? Thanks.

Here is the pic you asked for..... Which I think is the top of the vert....I forgot to post this side.

vertm4.jpg

Tony

47 minutes ago, josephstrizhak said:

It resembles a vertebra from the Monmouth county streams that Dave Parris confirmed for me as being a turtle vertebra. It is around 1.5 cm. Here are a few pictures:

Thank you for the picture.....Now there is a strong possibility that mine is a turtle as well. Did Dave mention if was a land or sea turtle ???? and if I may ask where in the brooks did you find it because I'm doing some research for a paper and any info will be greatly appreciated...If you prefer to tell me in a PM ...please do....Oh by the way super find....Yours would be the seconded one I've seen from the brooks......:D    

Tony