Plants in Kansas?

coled18

Hi all,

I've been collecting a lot of late Pennsylvanian invertebrates (mostly from the Virgilian Series) in the area surrounding where I live (Manhattan, KS), which is in the NE part of the state. I was wondering if any of you have found plant fossils in Eastern Kansas, as I want to start collecting some of those as well. I read that Clinton Reservoir's outlet does have some shale and limestone layers that have insect and plant fossils, but I am sure that area has been picked through thoroughly. Do any of you all have suggestions? Thanks a ton!!!

CD

I've never hunted the area, I remember something about terrestrial Carboniferous deposits near Hamilton, Kansas I think. Using a geologic map in conjunction with google earth to look for new outcrops may work.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Neighboring Wabaunsee County has the Mill Creek Flora:

Warren, K.M. (1966)

The Mill Creek Flora, Roca shale, Wabaunsee County, Kansas

MS Thesis, Kansas State University, 49 pp.   PDF LINK

Further east Anderson County has flora localities in Garnett:

Moore, R.C., Elias, M.K., & Newell, N.D. (1936)

A" Permian" flora from the Pennsylvanian rocks of Kansas.

Journal of Geology, 44:1-31

Winston, R.B. (1983)

A late Pennsylvanian upland flora in Kansas: systematics and environemtal implications.

Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 40:5-31

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

19 hours ago, coled18 said:

Hi all,

I've been collecting a lot of late Pennsylvanian invertebrates (mostly from the Virgilian Series) in the area surrounding where I live (Manhattan, KS), which is in the NE part of the state. I was wondering if any of you have found plant fossils in Eastern Kansas, as I want to start collecting some of those as well. I read that Clinton Reservoir's outlet does have some shale and limestone layers that have insect and plant fossils, but I am sure that area has been picked through thoroughly. Do any of you all have suggestions? Thanks a ton!!!

I've looked over the Clinton Res spillway several times and haven't found anything at all. I know there have been reports of insects and plants, but no luck for me.

Lone Star Lake near Clinton used to have a ton of plant fossils in the spillway, but alas is has been completely covered by concrete.

Hamilton Quarry is a protected site. No individuals can get in there. KU did a lot of work there in the 80's and found some magnificent fossils.

Frank Carpenter found many insects and plants near Elmo almost a century ago. Those beds, if located, would be extremely interesting to hunt.

• I found this Informative 1

@Xiphactinus Thanks a lot! I had a feeling that Clinton Spillway wouldn't turn out much, and I have heard about the Elmo site. It kinda looks like most of the surrounding area is privately owned farmland. 

CD