Fossil Ground Sloth found in Houston in March 1978?

Mike1227

Howdy all.  My father was a wildlife photographer in Houston TX for many years.  I recently came across a box of slides from March 1978, where he documented the excavation of a fossil giant ground sloth in the Houston area.  I believe it was a discovery made from some kids, and their parents contacted someone to do the excavation.  However, I can find nothing about the discovery or the dig online.  Anyone have any info?  Thanks, Mike

That's cool! Hope a local can help, I know that sloths are found every now and then down there.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Mike1227,

I participated in the excavation of that giant ground sloth back in the spring of 1978.  The Fossil Section of the Houston Gem and Mineral Society under the supervision of a professional vertebrate paleontologist did the excavation.  I cannot remember the name of the paleontologist now.  If memory serves me correctly I recall that the kids that made the find told their parents who contacted the Houston Museum of Natural Science who solicited the help of the Fossil Section of the Houston Gem and Mineral Society.  There was a reporter from the Houston Chronicle there who did a story for the paper.  Major pieces of the animal were wrapped in burlap and plaster of paris and transported to the museum where it was to be prepped and put on display in some fashion.  I seem to remember some pieces being displayed at the museum but my memory is very fussy on these details.  I left the area soon after the excavation on a change of job and I have only had opportunity to visit the museum only once since moving away.

I hope this information is of some help.

Jim

• I found this Informative 1

The Eocene is my favorite

Yes, amazing odds!  And great info.  Turns out that the HMNS does have the specimens, but not on display.  Per request, if I can get some of the 35mm slides digitized, I will post them on the forum.  Thanks all!  Mike