So I went to the Black Hills Insitute and I made a lot of photos, so I thought I'd share.

The Black Hills Institute museum in Hill City is pretty small, it's just one hall. But this one hall is absolutely packed with stuff. This is also the home of the T. rex Stan. Many of the skeletons are casts, but there are plenty of real fossils here as well.

BHI17.thumb.jpg.54b5859aa6943de3189956cd8efae530.jpg

The skeleton of Stan. This is the real skeleton and the real skull is placed beside it in the corner. But I didn't even notice that at the time. :P

BHI16.thumb.jpg.e8db9a2f2431b8789fc1767f89c16398.jpg

Skull of Torosaurus. Notice the holes in the frill. Triceratops doesn't have these holes in it's frill.

BHI10.thumb.jpg.8e32ca892407a4a551519c769a8b61dd.jpg

Tylosaurus proriger. Another real specimen.

BHI11.thumb.jpg.580a74104b19a1eca873a7f5d06543e9.jpg

Two Allosaurus skeletons.

BHI12.thumb.jpg.d60de0ed32d74b4efe416a571dd6daf5.jpg

An Ornithomimid as well as Stan, the Senckenberg Edmontosaurus mummy and Tarbosaurus skull in the background.

BHI13.thumb.jpg.a6eb76dcbe3a4316488f860713df89e1.jpg

Skeleton of Albertosaurus, skull of Albertosaurus on the left and skull of Gorgosaurus on the right.

BHI14.thumb.jpg.2f0f1ce9e869fcb23aaa5cc37dc306e0.jpg

A second T. rex skeleton. And a lineup of T. rex skulls in the background.

BHI07.thumb.jpg.52eb0dcfdc7cb8b9faa177fbf15b6968.jpg

Thescelosaurus and Pachycephalosaurus.

BHI15.thumb.jpg.1379d77be99edf71a0ff404d1820f57a.jpg

Juvenile Edmontosaurus skeleton below the second T. rex skeleton.

BHI05.thumb.jpg.cb64d8cfdb8d9ac70ebff8a7f7d73bdb.jpg

Cast of the Triceratops Raymond. Crestless Pteranodon on the left as well as a Nyctosaurus? arm/wing at the bottom. Dromaeosaurus in the middle between the legs of the Triceratops and a primitive Sirenian with legs on the right.

BHI01.thumb.jpg.4c0059efb4267a1f00dfd1742717a002.jpg

Bambiraptor and Archaeopteryx skeletons. Foot and skull of Deinonychus and Herrerasaurus, Dromaeosaurus and Eoraptor skulls at the bottom.

BHI02.thumb.jpg.6eaf254b3808617cef1395832ebc84d5.jpg

T. rex arm (cast of Sue) and brian endocast left. Nanotyrannus skull on the right.

BHI03.thumb.jpg.7089394efe292ba3121b0c5fec78432e.jpg

Mongolian Dinosaurs. Saichania and Saurolophus skulls at the top. Velociraptor skull and oviraptorid partial skeletons below that. Prenocephale, Oviraptor, Archaeornithimimus and Alioramus at the bottom.

BHI04.thumb.jpg.276f612b511a8c09fcb44fbf81b5ca88.jpg

Tethyshadros top left, and Psittacosaurus nest, and skeletons on the bottom left. Brontosaurus leg in the middle and baby Apatosaurus on the right. Velociraptor and Protoceratops fighting on the far right.

BHI06.thumb.jpg.0b22b26ea694123f8febc7e851bbe28e.jpg

Edaphosaurus skeleton.

BHI09.thumb.jpg.18ca91018774b51f9aea52b45699d72f.jpg

And this is just a small selection of the photos I took. There's just so much stuff here and I only spent a few hours here. The gift shop is also worth a vist btw.  I bought a rather nice replica of a tooth from Stan and a Thescelosaurus phalange.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Those are really great pictures, thanks for sharing. Based on the pictures it seems a shame that everything is so cluttered together. Seems a very old school way of display.

Regardless if I was ever to get down that way (which unfortunately is unlikely) I would certainly visit,

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, Malcolmt said:

Those are really great pictures, thanks for sharing. Based on the pictures it seems a shame that everything is so cluttered together.

We were there last summer and I really appreciated the "closeness" of the exhibits, so much so that I think it is my favorite museum of the many I have visited in my life! Maybe the pictures posted give a false sense of clutter.  Yes they are close together but it made me feel like  I could possibly be the prey, surrounded by these giants. Nowhere to escape to, except the gift shop!! ( See, the owner was smart!) A completely different feel from say Sue, the  T rex at the Chicago Field Museum displayed out in a huge hall that dwarfed her.. Thanks for posting these, LordTrilobite. Recommend this to anyone in the Western part of South Dakota. Did you have a chance to collect when in the Black Hills?

12 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Thanks for posting these, LordTrilobite. Recommend this to anyone in the Western part of South Dakota. Did you have a chance to collect when in the Black Hills?

I was voluntering for Naturalis Biodiversity Center at a Triceratops dig in Wyoming. On the way back to the airport we took a small detour to BHI.

I visited this museum last August, during a "rain day" on a Tate Museum dig in the Lance Formation of Wyoming.  I think it's safe to say you'll never see more fossils displayed in one room, anywhere.

Thanks to @jpc our group even got to have a private tour of the BHI workshop where they make their dinosaur casts, led by Pete Larson, himself!

Yeah, our group got to see the workshop aswell. It's quite amazing. We met Pete as well, really nice guy.

The invert displays are amazing as well.  LordT... if you come back again next year, I hope you guys can come visit the Tate Museum in Casper.  I'll show you se around and I am almost as nice a guy as Pete.  And I have found one more T rex than he has.   Heee heee.  

Thanks for the invite. I'm not sure if we're going back to the same dig next year though.

I do actually also have some photos of the inverts as well as some other cool stuff that was present in the museum. But there's just so much. Regardless, here are a few more photos.

Invertebrates! Though sadly I didn't take an detailed photos of these.

BHI08.thumb.jpg.494d5a42596df6d7570fa85afa64f696.jpg

More inverts.

BHI20.thumb.jpg.c56964f2bb6b17e11ab38f158849b184.jpg

White River critters.

BHI19.thumb.jpg.d7cca58fc98edf59c9de7c8eb9854b79.jpg

Marine critters.

BHI18.thumb.jpg.619408d38f7b0de940c2ff3b3bf0526f.jpg

Various fish.

BHI22.thumb.jpg.912f02215a2b600d1352fd7f5c0725f5.jpg

And lastly some beautiful bird fossils with preserved feathers. The bigg one on the right is Confuciusornis.

BHI21.thumb.jpg.6d7699b59a3513d88a6a6de5ed2fc1ee.jpg

Nice photos.  Was there yesterday before my dig and its nice display of HC material.  Plans are to house this material in a adjacent property that is much larger since they keep adding displays.  Not sure of timing

WOW!  That place has definitely progressed since the last time I was there!  (Admittedly...that was back in the early-1980s...before all of the "Sue" mess.) Pete Larson IS a nice guy.  Thanks for the "tour".

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to LordTrilobite for the wonderful pics of the Black Hills Museum. It's so rich of displays that it's shocking. I'd love to visit it one day. 

Fruitbat name the "Sue" mess. I have looked for topics on that story, and I found nothing. I think this topic would be the right place to ask and, maybe, to start a discussion about it.

Did you watch the "documovie" Dinosaur 13? What do you think of it? Was it slanted to an unacceptable level? What is the part of the truth that is not portrayed in the movie? Why were interviewed just two (or one?) witnesses on the part of the federal government in all the movie? What was really wrong with the activity of the BHI? 

I would like to know more about that story, about the wrongs of each of the parts interested in the trial. From the movie it seems that the federal government was the evil and the BHI was good guy: is it a fair reconstruction of the reality? 

I am sorry for my English. I hope you understand what I write, as it is not my language. I do my best to write in a clear way.

2 hours ago, donnie86dc said:

Fruitbat name the "Sue" mess. I have looked for topics on that story, and I found nothing. I think this topic would be the right place to ask and, maybe, to start a discussion about it.

Did you watch the "documovie" Dinosaur 13? What do you think of it? Was it slanted to an unacceptable level? What is the part of the truth that is not portrayed in the movie? Why were interviewed just two (or one?) witnesses on the part of the federal government in all the movie? What was really wrong with the activity of the BHI? 

I would like to know more about that story, about the wrongs of each of the parts interested in the trial. From the movie it seems that the federal government was the evil and the BHI was good guy: is it a fair reconstruction of the reality? 

It would be better if You start a new thread in "Questions and answers" sub forum. You will get more attention.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Ok, thank you guys! I will start a new thread. I didn't want to, but since that is the fastest way to gain attention, I'll soon open a new one. Thank you.

Yes, I know something about that story. I ordered the book on Amazon "Rex Appeal", just to find details especially about the trial (in the movie I think they ignored a lot of stuff). As I said, I want to know more. 

Again, thank you!

On 17.9.2017 at 5:27 PM, LordTrilobite said:

So I went to the Black Hills Insitute and I made a lot of photos, so I thought I'd share.

I missed out on this first time around and just wanted to say thanks for posting! And thanks to Troodon for the update on the plans for the future. I wonder what the quotient of displayed material to basement depots is here in comparison to other museums. Sure would like to spend some time there someday.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Archived