What is the id for this heteromorph ammonite from Morocco?

Heng Yong Seng

I am collecting heteromorph ammonite and one vendor is offering this ammonite to me. He does not have the id. For me its appearance (i.e. color and shininess) is quite different from what I have collected.

Moroccon ammonite.png

To add on, I was telling Yong Seng earlier that a very low price for a heteromorph ammonite (below 150 USD) is an indication of a dubious fossil, considering the effort needed to excavate and prep a genuine specimen.

Is that a reasonable hypothesis?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The price is not an indication. If you pay 1000 USD for this ammonite, are you sure it's real?

And you can also find a real ammonite for a low price

There is no real price for a fossil. The real price is when the seller and the buyer are both happy

1 hour ago, caterpillar said:

The price is not an indication. If you pay 1000 USD for this ammonite, are you sure it's real?

And you can also find a real ammonite for a low price

There is no real price for a fossil. The real price is when the seller and the buyer are both happy

I didn't say it was the only indication. Let me put it another way.

I want to buy a prepped hadrosaur egg, and there are both 1000 USD and 100 USD specimens. I can say with absolute certainty none of the 100 USD specimens are genuine prepped eggs, but there's a chance some of the 1000 USD specimens are genuine ones.

Hence, I can ignore all the 100 USD specimens, and instead spend my time examining the 1000 USD specimens.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The problem is to buy fossils on line. You can't see the specimen, only pics and it's difficult to say if it's a fake or no. So you trust with the price. If it's high the specimen must be real. But you can buy a fake for a lot of money

For me, I never buy a fossil on line. I find it myself or I trade (people who trade are not interested by money)

If I must buy a fossil, I must see it in my hands

But I understand people who buy fossils on line. That's just a different way to do a collection

Archived