Hi all,

During the Fossil Fair of Ede in March 2017, some of you might recall that I bought a big box full of different fossils. Well, here are some of them. Some spiriferid brachiopods (Punctospirifer kentuckyensis) from Breckenridge, TX, USA; from the Pennsylvanian of the Carboniferous. Collected in 1969! Now, as there are quite a few, I already gave a few, and will give a few more, away in trades with fellow forum members. 

Now, even though this is a nice amount of info, when I search up "fossils breckenridge Texas", I don't get any relevant results supplying more info on the location... So, anyone know more about this place?

Thanks in advance, 

Max

IMG_1259.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

19 minutes ago, Bullsnake said:

Very nice specimens!

Thanks! Do you know anything about Breckenridge?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

7 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Thanks! Do you know anything about Breckenridge?

I don't. I'm doing good to know anything about my own strata!:D

Sorry!

Steve

Sounds like the Breckenridge Limestone Member of the Thrifty Formation.  Paleobiology Database has 4 entries for Breckenridge LS - Stephens County brachiopods.

IMG.jpg.887dcd19a4bcfaccc53173349fb9b5cc.jpg

IMG1.jpg.451bc564f935d384e6b551ce1ef50141.jpg

This is the cited paper:

Lee, W., Nickell, C.O., Williams, J.S., & Henbest, L.G. (1938)

Stratigraphic and paleontologic studies of the Pennsylvanian and Permian rocks in north-central Texas.
University of Texas Bulletin, Bureau of Economic Geology, 3801:1-252    PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

7 hours ago, piranha said:

Sounds like the Breckenridge Limestone Member of the Thrifty Formation.  Paleobiology Database has 4 entries for Breckenridge LS - Stephens County brachiopods.

IMG.jpg.887dcd19a4bcfaccc53173349fb9b5cc.jpg

IMG1.jpg.451bc564f935d384e6b551ce1ef50141.jpg

This is the cited paper:

Lee, W., Nickell, C.O., Williams, J.S., & Henbest, L.G. (1938)

Stratigraphic and paleontologic studies of the Pennsylvanian and Permian rocks in north-central Texas.
University of Texas Bulletin, Bureau of Economic Geology, 3801:1-252    PDF LINK

Awesome, thank you so much! :D

Max Derème

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

@piranha, I could not get the PDF to load.

It's a big file (because I think it's a photocopy of a book) so it's gonna take some time to load. Give it a few minutes and it should appear on your computer browser. I used Google Chrome, and it worked just fine.

Max Derème