My trip to lowes

dalmayshun

I went to my local Lowes Yesterday for bags of shell to resurface my garden paths sa part of my cleanup after hurricane Irma. Dumping them out made me laugh, there in front of me were a couple of nicer fossils than I had in my collection, which had come by much searching. Guess from now on, I'll start with the plastic bagged shell at Lowes. Lol

20170918_101605-picsay.jpg

25 minutes ago, dalmayshun said:

I went to my local Lowes Yesterday for bags of shell to resurface my garden paths sa part of my cleanup after hurricane Irma. Dumping them out made me laugh, there in front of me were a couple of nicer fossils than I had in my collection, which had come by much searching. Guess from now on, I'll start with the plastic bagged shell at Lowes. Lol

20170918_101605-picsay.jpg

Lol- when I was in Florida earlier this year, I checked a couple of those stores looking for such bags- no luck. 

That's funny, but also kind of sick.  They don't sell bagged shell around here that I have ever seen.  Some very nice specimens in there.

Don

Amazing. Wonder if you can order them from Lowes online :wacko:

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Through the wonders of UPS you just might be able to get them delivered to your doorstep if you order them to be shipped from the specific store. But that would be the difference between fossil hunting and fossil collecting.:tff:

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Yes, the whole thing is frustrating especially, because the shell is scooped up and bagged only about 20 miles from my house in a shell pit...but do you think any collectors can get access...of course not. The whole thing makes me wonder if I should go buy a few bags...but first look at them all... they are clear plastic, I  think I am getting in over my head, I much prefer my kayak and a verdant bank to look for similar things, rather than the concrete slab of the garden area where the bags are stacked next to the pavers. It was just a fluke, but a pleasant one. 

Yep thats crazy. We are up a little further north and I'm hoping the boss brings in another dumptruck load for the road as its starting to show its age and I havent seen anything new lately. 

Thanks for showing. 

Regards, Chris 

17 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

Yes, the whole thing is frustrating especially, because the shell is scooped up and bagged only about 20 miles from my house in a shell pit...but do you think any collectors can get access...of course not. The whole thing makes me wonder if I should go buy a few bags...but first look at them all... they are clear plastic, I  think I am getting in over my head, I much prefer my kayak and a verdant bank to look for similar things, rather than the concrete slab of the garden area where the bags are stacked next to the pavers. It was just a fluke, but a pleasant one. 

I'd recommend showing up at the shell pit with a pick-up and getting a scoop. Most of these places don't mind selling a small load for a local consumer. Might cost 20 bucks for a half ton here in NC.

was it the sunscapes  natural sea shells bag? I'm building a shed and will need to put down landscape rock in the flower beds I'm building around it. I would love to get something fun like this that I could "collect" in as well.

Yes, though I must have gotten bags from a particularly good area this time. I used the same shell last year, and don't remember finding anything surprising, or even as large as these recent shells. Good luck/ 

Down here in Florida, they use fossil shell as fill in parking lots and around the beaches and in culverts.

Almost every state and county park around here has them in the parking lots and along some of the trail heads. I often spend more time picking them out the ground than I do hiking. During one trip to Indian Rocks Beach, our rental had flower beds that were "mulched" with fossil shells - thousands of tiny ones. I brought home a bag of the ones in the best condition. Everyone thought I was nuts for ignoring the beach and spending half of my time on my knees in the flower beds looking for shells.  LOL.

I even found some larger ones, like this Floridanus cone.

floridanus.jpg

And there were literally thousands like these.

fossil-1.jpg

Hi,

I would like to be a floridian ! :blush:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Archived