A New Pterosaur from the Kem Kem

Troodon

Looks like the Kem Kem is giving up a few new secrets.  Xericeps curvirostris is the latest newly described Pterosaur from the region.  

Unfortunately it's a paywalled paper.  The papers illustrations can be see in a thumbnail by hitting the 3 green lines on the upper left of the link

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667117304044

Author :David M Martill, David M Unwin, Nizar Ibrahim, Nick Longrich

Publication date 2017/9/14

Journal Cretaceous Research

Publisher Academic Press

Description

Abstract A new genus and species, Xericeps curvirostris gen. et sp. nov., is erected for a 
highly distinctive pterosaur mandible from the mid-Cretaceous (? Albian to lower 
Cenomanian) Kem Kem beds of south east Morocco. The new taxon is referred to 
Azhdarchoidea based on the absence of teeth, slenderness of its mandible with sulcate 
occlusal surface, presence on the posterior section of the mandibular symphysis of short 
paired ridges bounding a central groove, and the presence of elongate foramina on its ...
Scholar articles
DM Martill, DM Unwin, N Ibrahim, N Longrich - Cretaceous Research, 2017

That's indeed quite interesting.

I'm linking the images from the paper here as the thumbnails appear slightly larger that way. There's still not a lot one can say based on these small images though.

1-s2.0-S0195667117304044-gr1.sml1-s2.0-S0195667117304044-gr2.sml1-s2.0-S0195667117304044-gr3.sml1-s2.0-S0195667117304044-gr4.sml1-s2.0-S0195667117304044-gr5.sml1-s2.0-S0195667117304044-gr6.sml1-s2.0-S0195667117304044-gr7.sml

There was another paper from 2014 that included a weird Pterosaur jaw as well. Back then it was referred to cf. Alanqa but Im wondering if this might be this new species as well.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268884022_An_unusual_modification_of_the_jaws_in_cf_Alanqa_a_mid-Cretaceous_azhdarchid_pterosaur_from_the_Kem_Kem_beds_of_Morocco

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

This is very interesting my friend Troodon. Not only we, but also all world paleontology have much to celebrate! Even though we still have a long way to go, and still tons of questions to be answered, as our friend LordTrilobite wisely mentioned. And I wonder how many more species can be described, including who knows, if one day will find that more complete tapejarid and that we can finally know it through a scientific description?

Thank you for sharing this gem with us!

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

13 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

There was another paper from 2014 that included a weird Pterosaur jaw as well. Back then it was referred to cf. Alanqa but Im wondering if this might be this new species as well.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268884022_An_unusual_modification_of_the_jaws_in_cf_Alanqa_a_mid-Cretaceous_azhdarchid_pterosaur_from_the_Kem_Kem_beds_of_Morocco

Who knows how many species exist.  We know so little.

The images on the older paper are different but two of the authors are the same.   It's possible they are finally describing it but have to read the details in both papers to determine that.

I agree. The discovery and scientific description of Xericeps curvirostris came to show us that there were definitely far more species of pterosaurs in Kem Kem than previously thought. I also do not think there may be an unusual modification of the jaws in Alanqa saharica, taking into account that the upper and lower jaw that I have here with me is extremely similar to the holotype that Ibrahim first used to describe this species, and I do not see in the jaws that I have here, with me this unusual modification. I believe that later, they will be able to determine that this unusual modification of the jaws refers to Xericeps curvirostris, not to our beloved Alanqa saharica.

I saw the pictures of the jaw of Pterosaurus of Troodon, I also seen the pictures of the jaw of Pterosaurus of LordTrilobite, you two together have the pair, and I have not seen any unusual modifications of the jaws, and you two, my friends, with these specimens can see ? And this really makes me believe that there was a great deal of confusion, and that this unusual modification of the jaws actually refers to the pterosaur Xericeps curvirostris, but only the future will tell.

But I believe that even with so little evidence, we could open a debate and exchange ideas on this wonderful subject that are the pterosaurs of Kem Kem. While politicians argue about war, we argue about pterosaurs!

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Archived