Jump to content
Max-fossils

What are your shipping costs?

Recommended Posts

Max-fossils

Hi all,

 

Many of us have had experience with shipping, let it be with fossil trades or with new purchases. 

Often, I see people in the US saying "will keep postage within the US", as otherwise the shipping costs will be too much. And I do see that sometimes incoming packages from the US cost about 22$ just for an envelope, or 34$ for a small parcel! For me, those are exhilarating prices. On the other hand, shipping from the Netherlands is very inexpensive. Sending (internationally) an envelope of:

- up to 20 grams costs 2,66 euros

- 20-50 grams is 4 euros

- 50-200 grams is 7 euros

I usually only send mall fossils, so very rarely parcels, but even with parcels the prices are much lower than in other countries.

(Those prices are without Track & code, and without signing)

 

Anyways, I was wondering, what are your shipping costs (for international)?

 

I can make a graph if you want showing all my shipping costs, if people are more interested.

 

Regards,

 

Max

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taj

Hmm from my experience out of France was 23 euros for 1 kg over the pond . The other way around more like 23 $. But very fast service both ways , I must say

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gigantoraptor

I sended a package of 1 kilo for 18 euros to south korea from Belgium. I also wondered why shipping from the US is so expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thelivingdead531

I'm probably not much help, or the norm for England, but since were stationed at a US military base in England, we can send packages for a flat rate depending on the size of the box, or send a box based on weight. With flat rate shipping, as long as it fits in the box and is less than 70lbs, doesn't tend to be more than $20. Like I said, it's not much help if you don't have an APO box, but thought I would share my experience. 

 

If any Americans see my response, would you be willing to ship to an APO? It's technically an American address. (Sorry to piggy back off of your post)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer

I'll be sending my overseas heavy parcels to you then! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04

I just sent 2 parcels to the UK. The first was a small box that was 33.3oz and cost $34.50. The other was a small cushion envelope weighing 6.7 oz that cost $13.50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

Too much:P 

the places I ship to (in Europe) are normally 20-30 dollars,  not sure if that helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils

Thanks everyone for the replies! It's really weird to see how much shipping costs can differ...

 

What surprises me the most is this: if I send a small 30g envelope to the US, it will cost me 4 euros. But if the receiver wants to send it back, it will cost them between 12-25$! How does that make any sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD
4 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Thanks everyone for the replies! It's really weird to see how much shipping costs can differ...

 

What surprises me the most is this: if I send a small 30g envelope to the US, it will cost me 4 euros. But if the receiver wants to send it back, it will cost them between 12-25$! How does that make any sense?

I don't know if this is correct, but I believe the US has many regulations and checks that it prefers to do (rather than going on any other countries standards), jacking up prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thelivingdead531

My insight on the high cost of the US Postal Service is that they are seriously lacking in funding and can charge what they want (exorbitant prices) for their services, especially to overseas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thelivingdead531

@WhodamanHD That may be correct too. I knew a man several years ago that worked for the USPS and said they were losing business, but I'm sure there are also many regulations in place too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
1 minute ago, thelivingdead531 said:

My insight on the high cost of the US Postal Service is that they are seriously lacking in funding and can charge what they want (exorbitant prices) for their services, especially to overseas. 

 

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

I don't know if this is correct, but I believe the US has many regulations and checks that it prefers to do (rather than going on any other countries standards), jacking up prices.

That's ridiculous :(

 

I also saw that in many countries, if you want to send something internationally, you need to fill in some forms, or at least a lot of data on the package. For me, all I have to do is write down the destination address, my address, and then pay the correct amount. Sent. No writing down, no filling in forms, no whatever...

Just now, thelivingdead531 said:

@WhodamanHD That may be correct too. I knew a man several years ago that worked for the USPS and said they were losing business, but I'm sure there are also many regulations in place too. 

"Nu komt de aap uit de mouw" (translation from Dutch: now the monkey comes out of the sleeve)(finally the truth/real fact is coming out). They're not doing well, so just charge their customers more... Not great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thelivingdead531

@Max-fossils Even within the military base we have to write what we're sending. It doesn't matter what we're sending (to a degree), but it has to be listed. Try not to list the contents (if they're fossils) as something that is alive today and can be smuggled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils

@thelivingdead531 yeah, but that I understand. Smuggling is an issue. But sending fossils over to a fellow fossiler is not smuggling, obviously. Unfortunately sometimes the postmen don't know what fossils are, and will consider sending them illegal... :headscratch:That's why just saying "rocks" is the best thing to do. Plus, fossils are technically rocks, so...

Here in the NL, you don't need to write down anything.

 

Come to think about it, the shipping in my country is awesome! Cheap, fast, good quality, and reliable! And no silly forms to fill in or anything! 

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

I'll be sending my overseas heavy parcels to you then! :D

Should I set up a postage business? :headscratch::P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thelivingdead531

@Max-fossils I get where you're coming from. Not saying this about people on this forum (I'm sure they know better lol) but some people will try to help you smuggle illegal fossils into the US. And then there are the cases where customs aren't aware the sent items are fossils. 

 

Also, from what I've read, when it comes to certain countries, it would still be smuggling depending on the fossils being brought in. I could be wrong, so if someone knows more please let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
11 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

@Max-fossils I get where you're coming from. Not saying this about people on this forum (I'm sure they know better lol) but some people will try to help you smuggle illegal fossils into the US. And then there are the cases where customs aren't aware the sent items are fossils. 

 

Also, from what I've read, when it comes to certain countries, it would still be smuggling depending on the fossils being brought in. I could be wrong, so if someone knows more please let me know. 

I'm not very familiar with fossil laws. But I know that some fossils are illegal to collect (because they are on private land, or because they are considered "property of the state"). I'm not sure though if sending fossils in and out is illegal (if the fossils were collected legally), and I think that just sending them around the world is permitted in most countries.

 

An expert should chime in :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer
10 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Also, from what I've read, when it comes to certain countries, it would still be smuggling depending on the fossils being brought in. I could be wrong, so if someone knows more please let me know. 

Indeed you're right. 

 

Also so if you send something outside of a trade agreement group, for example EU to USA you are required to fill out a CN22 (customs declaration) form if it's under a certain value and a CN23 if over. If you're in a trading group of countries for example UK to Germany both of which (at the moment :mellow:) are in the EU no CN form needs to be filled in. The CN forms are for the destination country to decide what tariffs to add. Certainly in the EU no import duty needs to be paid on antiques (items of over 100 years) from outside the EU. 

 

In in my experience of international trading (not fossils) and having a friend who's retired (high ranking too) from the UK customs department as well as my brother in law, being vague on a CN form is pretty silly as that's what attracts attention. Random checks are also done on 'gifts'. When I ship outside the EU, the CN form is correctly filled out and if a gift I do often include a postcard. I do mark fossils as for study or educational use too which obviously is true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
2 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

for example EU to USA you are required to fill out a CN22 (customs declaration)

Never happened with me. I often shipped to the US, and never had to fill in anything. At the same time, I've sent nearly only envelopes, no parcels. So maybe this only applies to parcels...

 

Otherwise, great info, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer
3 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Never happened with me. I often shipped to the US, and never had to fill in anything. At the same time, I've sent nearly only envelopes, no parcels. So maybe this only applies to parcels...

 

Otherwise, great info, thanks!

It's a legal requirement apart from letters and what is called 'printed papers'. Not adding a CN form is asking for customs officials to open packaging!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
1 minute ago, JohnBrewer said:

It's a legal requirement apart from letters and what is called 'printed papers'

Oh. Never had that though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
1 hour ago, Max-fossils said:

@thelivingdead531 yeah, but that I understand. Smuggling is an issue. But sending fossils over to a fellow fossiler is not smuggling, obviously. Unfortunately sometimes the postmen don't know what fossils are, and will consider sending them illegal... :headscratch:That's why just saying "rocks" is the best thing to do. Plus, fossils are technically rocks, so...

Here in the NL, you don't need to write down anything.

 

Come to think about it, the shipping in my country is awesome! Cheap, fast, good quality, and reliable! And no silly forms to fill in or anything! 

Should I set up a postage business? :headscratch::P

I agree- I also just write "rocks" on the Custom form- I use the same reasoning as you do (Fossils are rocks, at least that's what my wife calls them).

 

As far as pricing- to send a small priority box overseas it costs about $34.00 and to send a medium priority box it runs about $65.00.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

I hope I'm not messing anything up, I write gift and rocks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
18 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I hope I'm not messing anything up, I write gift and rocks!

Should be fine! 

 

19 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I agree- I also just write "rocks" on the Custom form- I use the same reasoning as you do (Fossils are rocks, at least that's what my wife calls them).

 

As far as pricing- to send a small priority box overseas it costs about $34.00 and to send a medium priority box it runs about $65.00.

That's really expensive! :trilosurprise:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrangellian

Canada Post prices seem comparable to USPS for shipping internationally. As to the reason for the higher prices, one PO worker told me that letters/postcards and the like used to be their bread and butter, because they could charge $1 or $2 (in today's terms) for a letter and no one would bat an eye, whereas if they charged the same amount per weight/volume for a large parcel (which could hold hundreds of letters), you'd be paying hundreds of dollars and you'd think twice about shipping heavy/bulky items around the world. So they used to subsidize the cost of parcels with the profits made from letters. Now, everyone is going to email/etc and not sending letters as much any more, so they are having to jack up the prices of parcels to compensate. This is what they told me, anyway. I guess the good ol' days are gone...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6ix

I know this isnt directly related, but I can never figure this out... I buy heaps of trinkets from China... I have no idea how it works... free shipping on something worth so little.

 

image.png.5878e3a9548afdbfb28c0b4c65b6ff01.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×