Missmuddypaws

Hi! I a am new to fossil hunting and would love to know more about these two that I picked up at Burling gap East Sussex. Many thanks x

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The first one is the impression in flint of an interambulacral plate from a regular echinoid, showing the large tubercle that supports a spine. Look up "Cidaris" images for the kind of thing, though there are several genera that look similar - it's from the Upper Cretaceous Chalk.

The second one is a section through an ammonite (you can see the wavy walls between the chambers)- someone might be able to identify it further.

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

Welcome to the Forum. :) 
Glad to have you here.

Nice fossils - I agree with Tarquin on ID's.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you both I'm going to have a good google now x when you say a 'section' of an ammonite is that because the spiral pattern stops? It has smaller fossils on the back too.

18 minutes ago, Missmuddypaws said:

Thank you both I'm going to have a good google now x when you say a 'section' of an ammonite is that because the spiral pattern stops? It has smaller fossils on the back too.

"Section" means a cross section through the interior, rather than "piece of".  Happy googling and hunting! :)

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

Welcome to the forum! Nice Ammonite!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 hours ago, TqB said:

The second one is a section through an ammonite (you can see the wavy walls between the chambers)- someone might be able to identify it further.

Based on the appearance, I think this is a worn, but mostly complete, internal mold showing the sutures, rather than a slice showing septa, due to the clear lobes and saddles. 

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

I think, it is eroded to the level that shows the suture's structure from inside the wall.

1520871779.thumb.jpg.6c658261206013d72463a97052fe868e.jpg59c1c72daea60_-ammonshell.gif.14426cac689d9fad2e9f0acfb4ae805f.gif

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I love them both even more now I know what they are and the thought of just how old they are is unbelievable! Thank you all for your help and information, I can't wait to go out on my next hunt! 

It certainly looks like something but is rather out of focus - perhaps try sticking it on a bit of blutac with fingers out of the way so the camera focusses on it better. 

Tarquin

Nice ammonite. Are you going to try and extract it from the matrix? Best side is inside the rock? Though I kinda like its presentation as is. Maybe polish it ?

1 hour ago, ynot said:

The last object is a piece of a mineral vein with some of the parent rock attached, not a fossil.

Thank you x

39 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Nice ammonite. Are you going to try and extract it from the matrix? Best side is inside the rock? Though I kinda like its presentation as is. Maybe polish it ?

I wouldn't know where to start and would worry I'd break it although would love to see the other side x