Where to find footprints in NJ?

Masp

I've always wanted to find my own triassic/jurassic footprints and looking for a suggestion or two. I live by the Riker Hill area where extracting dinosaur footprints is now prohibited and it's a bummer. So, does anyone know of a place nearby where I can try finding my own footprint legally? 

Many fossil hunters are reluctant to give away locations, ... and not likely here on a public forum, where hundreds of people a day view the pages here. ;) 

Relying on that method is a shot in the dark. :unsure: 

You should probably read everything you can by Paul Olsen, about the Newark Supergroup, Passaic, Stockton, and Lockatong Formations.

Chances are, you will get an idea of where you should be looking. 

LINK 1

LINK 2

Many of the sites may no longer be accessible.  In such cases, it is always good to scout around for creek, stream, or ravine access nearby. 

Keep in mind, you must obtain the permission of  local landowners to look on their property. 

Much of fossil hunting is just that.  Hunting.  Hunting down research, Hiking, exploring, doing more research, bushwhacking, even more research and maybe you get lucky, once or twice. 

If it was easy, everyone would do it, and it would be called Fossil Finding. :P 

Good Luck. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I live near the Newark supergroup (Gettysburg formation) and I can attest to the effort it takes to hunt in, sometimes gravel from the formation can have fossils, mostly worm burrows and plant material as well as raindrops. Good sites are not only hard to come by, but hard to gain permission to.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason