Is it a real Keichousaurus?

Anngottesman

Another pic. 

I managed to add a couple more pics. Got a loope as well. The dark parts don't looked painted and they have texture. But a small Part of one of the leg bones looks like it was possibly carved from the stone? Wish I could see a real one of these in person. Everything is 3 dimentional (raised) to some degree or less. I realize the prep is not too pretty. Can anyone tell anything regarding authenticity from these pictures?

IMG_0371.JPG

Is it normal for stone to be so much lighter in areas near where fossil is carved out? I see this in photos of some fossils but others don't have such a noticeable difference in shade of stone. 

2 minutes ago, Anngottesman said:

Is it normal for stone to be so much lighter in areas near where fossil is carved out? I see this in photos of some fossils but others don't have such a noticeable difference in shade of stone. 

Depends on the matrix, some will show a pronounced difference (like the matrix that these lizards are in.).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you Ynot. So it seems this is not a red flag in itself. I'm learning that if you don't see a lot of  real fossils in person , it's hard to tell from photos of real fossils if the one you have is authentic. Wish I could compare the one I have to an authenticated real Keichousaurus or similar fossil in person. 

1 hour ago, Anngottesman said:

Thanks for info on adding photos. After replying and refreshing I can post one at a time. 

Hi this looks the best you have shone us so far. Bobby 

Here is what I'm seeing on this fossil:

IMG_0371.thumb.JPG.215f923383d61300a82f85ef2754983b (1).JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very helpful Fossildude! Love the arrows. It's like you're right with me. Yes I see what you pointed out and this is obviously a poor prep job. I noticed what you referred to. Although I don't see any paint, there are many missing bones and partially prepped bones. I'll scrape underneath in a small area to see if there's any dark bone in there. I paid very little though , since I just wanted to get a "real" fossil so I could see what a real one looks like, I'd be happy if you thing this is a (mostly) real, fossil but a poor specimen. (Perhaps I can learn how to uncover some more bone to improve some parts. )

Do you think this is a real but badly prepped Keich? I only paid $90. I don't know...maybe that was too muchfor a real, but badly prepped fossil? Here's one more picture I took. 

IMG_0374.JPG

I can't say that one looks fake, because it doesn't.  It's a awful prep job though, if that were mine I'd return it and buy one that was better done.  It looks like the skull is mostly ground away.  I got one from the same seller that was much better done.  Just my opinion.  I paid $108 for mine.  The seller has mostly rotten pics, that makes it harder to find a good one.  Most of his don't look too good from the pics.  I got lucky.

Hi Aplomado! Yes, you DID get a nice specimen! I was thinking of exchanging the one I got for this one which I think is a little better. What do you think? I'll post another photo of back legs and tail after I send this one since I can only send one picture at a time.

KEICHOUSAURUS FOSSIL.jpg

Does the head of this Keich look like a composite- taken from another fossil or does it look to be the head that belongs to this body? I love the details on this one...59cc17239917e_KEICH3.thumb.jpg.c407768ec75c4da9e53e105947aff6a1.jpg

keich 3 TO 4.jpg

1 hour ago, Malcolmt said:

Looks composite, the cracks in the rock do not carry through where the joins are.

Hard to tell from a picture, but faulting can do this to fossils.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If someone wanted to take the time to make a composite, they would certainly expend the effort to line up the cervical vertebrae.  Fossil fakery always wants to maximize the bottom line. 

This one appears to be authentic.

IMG.jpg.e11d97a13c4b9b0fcade3cf96aef208e.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks for your opinions. I really like the details. I also seem to think it may be authentic because it appears the rock may have shifted because when you line it up like you did it looks like both sides were part of the same stone. How did you do that? I may take a chance on this and get it so I can look at in person. If it's authentic it looks like  one that is better prepped than the others I've seen. 

Archived