A method to hang a fossil slab

aplomado

Harry Pristis pointed me to this method, so I thought I would show how it worked out.

This only works with fossil that are fairly rectangular or square.  A little deviation is okay, depending on what frame you choose.

I used Nielsen sectional aluminum picture frames.

https://www.nielsen-design.de/en-EN/products/frame-mouldings-aluminium/

They come in a wide variety of colors and styles.  

When I bought a frame, I told them the exact size of the slab, and they added a tiny bit when they cut it, so the slab would fit inside.  So, check with the seller to see if you are ordering the exact size of the slab, or if you need to add a little length yourself so the frame sits inside.  

I recommend using a carpenters' square when measuring, it made it a lot easier.

carpenters_square.jpg

You need to make sure the frame you are ordering has enough overhang to cover up any potential gap between the slab and the frame.  I chose the N95 frame which has about a 1/3 inch overhang.  There are frames with an overhang closer to 1/2 inch if you have an irregular slab.

You need to make sure the frame you get is deep enough for the thickness of the slab you get.  The N95 frame is about 1" deep.  Here is what the N95 frame looks like:

SP121.jpg

There are steel angle brackets you use to screw the frame together; here is one of mine seen from the back:

351cx1h.jpg

You add steel spring clips to press the slab against the front of the frame; I did not use glass:

1rtgdl.jpg

Now, you can use wire to hang the picture; I decided to use the nielsen security hanging system instead; this locks the picture against the wall.  It can only be removed with a special tool.  So, if someone bumps against it, it won't fall and shatter (or be stolen).  They cost me about $4.25 for one set.  HOWEVER, I will say removing them with the tool is really annoying, so if you use these I hope you won't need to take them off for a long time.

24xgs5k.jpg

Here are the brackets for my small one installed; it has one hanger up top, and the "lock" below.  On my larger slab, I used two hanging brackets up top.

2aj75tx.jpg

So, here are how they look finished:

30w1ici.jpg

25s4lmc.jpg

I know we aren't supposed to post retailer's names here; if you want to know where I ordered the frames, send me a PM.  These can be ordered at a lot of places online though.

The prices for the small frame and all associated hardware, including the locking hangers was $15.30.

The price for the larger frame and all associated hardware including locking hangers was $20.46.

Shipping was $11.65.

So far, I am very pleased with this method, and would like to use it again.  Thanks to Harry for the tip!

• I found this Informative 4

Good job in sharing your project!  These fossils look very nice.  Unless the hardware is generic, I believe that this is the same frame and hanger system that I used.  What a good investment you've made!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I did something similar recently with my recent horseshoe crab. But I didn't think of using such steel springs, that's actually a really great idea to keep things nicely in place. For my horseshoe crab I used foamcore in the back to keep the specimen in place.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Ok, the neilson security hangers are annoying; my keisoucarus goes on and off ok, but my fish appears to be stuck to the wall!  I think the man who installed it didn't tighten it up enough.  Hopefully, I will figure it out eventually!