Super tricky fossil shark tooth ID

mattbsharks

Hi guys, I posted this tooth a few months ago with the hopes of getting an ID. I heard some people say meg, and maybe some great white and chubutensis. I dismissed it, but yesterday when sorting through some of my shark teeth, I came across another one like it. Now I am fairly convinced it is none of those species. The strange curves of the enamel near the root, the incredibly long ends of the root, the lack of a real bourlette like a meg or a chub. The teeth are too similar to a meg in shape to be a great white, and can't be megs because they have no bourlette. I figured the first one might be a weird patho, but since i have found two now, I think that is unlikely. I believe they were found in south carolina.

IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

I also was wondering if this tooth is a thresher or a hooked mako?

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

Hm. The root of the first teeth are more carcharocles like, but at the same time the bourrelet seems to not be there... The texture and robustness of the crown makes it also point towards carcharocles a bit also. I also searched a bit and found that some posterior meg teeth can have tiny bourrelets, and I do see a mark between the crown and the root, so mabe that could have been once the bourrelet?

And the second tooth is probably a thresher shark tooth.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

The last tooth is a giant thresher, Alopias grandis. The first 2 are Carcharocles sp. that have had the bourlettes eroded away

• I found this Informative 1

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

23 minutes ago, PaleoRon said:

Carcharocles (now Otodus?

As far as I know, the Otodus isn't official yet (and it would suck if it were to be official, because carcharocles is such an awesome name compared to otodus, A name meaning "big ear-shaped tooth" would be really weird compared to "great and glorious shark tooth"). Some people just simply mash both names together with Otodus being the genus and Carcharocles being the subgenus, but of course thats their own imagination.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png