Interesting find on Lake Michigan

Sandy

Hi! I'm new here, so PLEASE forgive me any infractions.

On an annual trip to Ann Arbor, Michigan, I took a day trip to South Haven, Michigan (more specifically Deer Lick Creek Park, on the west coast, above St Joseph). I found a rock with an interesting inclusion. Deer Lick Creek empties into Lake Michigan. After some research, the bedrock in that area is Shale. (I don't know if that helps).

So...a rock, possibly a septarian nodule, found at Deer Lick Creek beach, which is near South Haven, Mi, bedrock is shale.

Attached is a picture of the rock in question.

15059223521811286547858.jpg

Looks like maybe an enchinoid? At least you've got something here.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I would not say it is an echinoid. Given the geology of the area, this is likely Devonian, and seems to be the calyx of a rugose coral. You can make out the fine detail of the septa here.

Here is a simplified anatomical diagram of a typical rugose coral:

niamh1.gif

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Definitely a solitary rugosan coral.  Internal structures (septa and tabulae) characteristic of rugosan corals are clearly exhibited.  On the other hand not one feature of an echinoid is present; the reasoning behind that suggestion is a bit mysterious to me.

Don

Archived