Megalodon Tooth - real?

NicolaT

Hi everyone!

According to the seller, this Megalodon shark tooth measures 3.0005" from tip to root and it was found along the Calvert Cliffs region of MD. Can anyone tell by these photos if this fossil is authentic, please?

Best regards,

Nicola

$_57 (1).JPG

$_57.JPG

It is real. 

Megalodon fragments such as this are so numerous that it is not necessary for them to be faked, as far as I know. :unsure: 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yep it's real. Keep in mind why would they make fake teeth that are broken. Most people want the whole tooth not broken ones so it would better for them to make whole tooth fakes

Well, shark teeth are almost never faked and passed off as real, because theres no point due to the extreme commoness in them. Occasionally you might come across a few fakes, but they are extremely easy to differ, mostly due to unnatural (commonly bland) color texture. Plus, if it were fake, then it would be a giant complete one, not a partial. So your tooth is real. Why buy a partial anyways when you can get a bigger complete one for a small fee on other places? (Dont ever worry about it being fake, again its super easy to differentiate)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

As stated by others it is real. I have yet to see a fake half tooth. I have seen many reproductions being offered as real. They come in all sizes from small to ridiculously large. Most are easy to spot but some are so well done that it can be difficult to tell that they are reproductions without close inspection. A latex mold of a real tooth can be used to make several high quality reproductions before it begins to degrade. Someone who is very good with applying pigment can turn a white reproduction into something that looks like a real fossil at arms length. Close inspection usually shows unnatural gloss on the root and reproductions are usually very light weight compared to an authentic specimen.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks a lot to all! It's my first Megalodon tooth and I'm not an expert in the field of fossils, that's explains my question :)

I still have a lot to learn and this forum is very helpful.

Thanks again,

Nicola

1 hour ago, NicolaT said:

Thanks a lot to all! It's my first Megalodon tooth and I'm not an expert in the field of fossils, that's explains my question :)

I still have a lot to learn and this forum is very helpful.

Thanks again,

Nicola

Hi Nicola I understand it really amazing to hold a fossil that is millions of your old. Making it hard to believe it is real . we all also have a lot to learn and for me this is what makes fossil collecting so interesting indeed. Looking forward to see your collection grow. Regards Bobby