Petrified Corn Cobs

Brad1978

Found these by Dilley, Tx in a corn field.  It's certainly corn but I have never seen fossils petrify this color.  I've found the same mineral as concretions in limestone.  I was curious to what everybody else thinks about them.

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

Not confident this is corn. You may need to post a picture of the ends to make sure. The piece on the left does not seem to have any regularity of the seed pattern.

There is a possibility that this could also be a piece of iron siderite concretion. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, RJB said:

Kinda reminds me of shrimp burrows?

RB

I think that may also be a good possibility. I've seen similar pieces like this that were marine burrows. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

+1 for marine burrows. They are quite common in my neck of the woods (Mornington Peninsula),  & can range from petit to forearm size. Many of the larger varieties display this bumpy textured outer surface

.59c2e7c5b4edc_ScreenShot2017-09-21at8_11_49am.thumb.png.4b7aae68c5da9dc42d9a4b55f47ce771.png

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, ynot said:

Could not be corn. Corn was developed by the Mayan civilization around 5 hundred years ago from a grass.

A fact which doesn't necessarily preclude this being corn, just a fossil.

I'm in total agreement that it doesn't need to though :)

Ok, my wife has been busy cleaning up and ran into these.  I found these outside of glendive in a very yellowish matix above the Pierre Shale 11 years ago.    These are shrimp burrows. 

RB

DSCN1262.JPG

• I found this Informative 1