Square Hole Found in Boulder.

Brad1978

I was on the Dry Frio River and I was climbing up on some limestone boulders and I noticed this square hole in the top of this rock.  I have no clue how it got there but there were no rocks in it.  Just some dust.  No evidence of carving.  It's about a foot deep.  5" x 5" square hole.  Somebody found an old spongebob fossil maybe.  Lol

IMG_3623.JPG

Heh, it is a Spongebob rock. :D 

It is likely that it is human made. It could have been a square-cut job for a sign stand or even a foothold. If the hole is old enough, any cut marks may have succumbed to erosion, leaving the inside smooth.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree with manmade.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Certainly does look manmade. Is that in the middle of nowhere, out in the boondocks, off the beaten path, or is there a good chance that human beings have often passed that spot?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It's not in the middle of nowhere really but it was off the beaten path and would be hard to find because it is on top of a 7 foot tall boulder hidden by a tree limb and surrounded by bigger boulders.  Just seems like odd placement for a hole and makes me wonder what this holes purpose was.  I also can't understand how a human could cut this hole without a modern tool.  It's about a foot deep with very little debris in the bottom.  Mostly dust.  The walls of the hole have the same look as the outside of the boulder.  No signs of breaks or grooves, marks, etc.