New Android App for Fossil Cataloging

TNCollector

Hey guys! My latest project is finally at its first stage of deployment. As some of you may know, 2 years ago I released PaleoArchiver, a computer based program for cataloging, archiving, and documenting your fossil collections. Well, I found a lot of problems with it: #1 is that it was not mobile, I couldn't take a laptop out into the field, #2 is that it was based around one central flaw, and that is that you could not make custom tags/IDs for your specimens, they were autogenerated in numerically ascending order, and #3 is that the application had no way of organizing specimens by the site that they were found.

As a result of these problems, I started working on a new version of PaleoArchiver, a mobile Android application, rebuilt completely from the ground up. It allows you to go out into the field and create new sites, add specimens to those sites, create field notes, etc. The best part is that everything you do is automatically geo-tagged. The GPS location, altitude, and GPS radial accuracy are all found using the phone's built-in GPS receiver. Further, rather than storing all of the data in a proprietary file format, all of the data is stored in a SQLite database. You can export or import databases as you wish, and use open-source, free computer applications to look at your database from your computer. This also allows you to share your database with friends and colleagues.

Pictures for each specimen, site, and field note can either be uploaded from your gallery, or taken within the app.

Also, there are fields for not only fossils, but minerals and arrowheads as well! A brief summary of the app's capabilities are as follows:

• Add new sites, specimens, and field notes quickly and easily
  • Upload or capture photos of sites, specimens, and field notes
  • Automatic site, specimen, and field notes geotagging
  • Automatic storage of data in a SQLite database
  • Export the database for safekeeping or sharing with friends and colleagues
  • Import a database for easy transition when switching phones
  • Search function for retrieving information about specific sites, specimens, or field notes
  • Designed to be simple and easy to use both in and out of the field
  • Edit and remove existing sites, specimens, and field notes

And of course, I will continue to update the app. The feature that I plan on adding next is automatic specimen label generation, so that you can create and print labels for your display pieces. And like all new things, there may be some bugs/errors that I have not encountered. I have tested it on a Google Pixel, Nexus 5, and Samsung Galaxy S7 without any problems, but all devices are different. Google Play should tell you if your device will work or not, I don't think that any modern devices would fail (unless you have not updated your phone in the past 3 years!, which is a bad habit...).

The app is not free, I spent a lot of time developing it in my own free time. There are no ads, and once you buy it, you never have to purchase it again and will have access to all of the updates.

To purchase it, go to Google Play and search for PaleoArchiver, or click this link here.

If you are unsatisfied with the app, please tell me what you dislike/have problems with and I will do my absolute best to fix it!

For more information and some screenshots, also visit: my website

its 19 bucks, aw man :(

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Just now, Macrophyseter said:

its 19 bucks, aw man :(

Unfortunately solo programming is not a profitable business for the most part, $19 barely does anything to cover the merchant fees, website upkeep, etc. But I understand that it may be outside of some people's budget. 

But keep on the lookout, I may do some holiday discounts in the future, if Google allows it that is!

I'd gladly pay that, but I assume it's not on IOS?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

22 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I'd gladly pay that, but I assume it's not on IOS?

No not yet, but if there is enough interest in an iOS version, and if there is any success on the Android end, I would consider writing a version for iOS. 

Trying out this app is a bit tantalizing, only that I can't travel wherever I want and I doubt theres a tff member near me.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

39 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Trying out this app is a bit tantalizing, only that I can't travel wherever I want and I doubt theres a tff member near me.

Most of my own specimen entries are ones that I found before I made this app, and I added them later on and searched the gps position on Google Maps. Also, in place of GPS coordinates, you can place the city/country or whatever other locality you want in the GPS location section. The user is free to choose what sort of information goes into each field.

The primary purpose of this app, at least in my opinion, is to create a database that holds the information needed about each specimen in order to maintain their scientific value. 

15 hours ago, TNCollector said:

I am running an experimental sale for $12.99 for 6 days, if anyone is interested!

Got it ! :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

• 3 weeks later...

I am liking it! Looking forward to using it on the spot when I am out collecting in 'the field' very soon. 

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

• 3 weeks later...

Remember to let us know if/when it comes out on Idevices!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know too when the app comes out on iOS. Sounds really interesting!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

Due to the amount of requests I have had, I will begin working on an iOS version of the app in the next month or so. It will take a bit longer to develop, iOS applications have stricter guidelines and standards that can make the process more difficult. This, combined with the fact that publishing apps on the App Store costs quite a bit of money on my end, means that the price point may be slightly higher than that of the Android version. The Android version is currently set at $6.99 and I am aiming for $8.99 to $9.99 USD for the iOS version.

As for the Android version, I have noticed on my control panel that a few devices have had crashes, prompting people to uninstall the app from their device. Please note, that if anyone ever has trouble with the app, feel free to email me with a detailed response about how it happened. Unfortunately, I can't fix a problem that I don't know about. Also note that Google Play allows refunds, so if you really don't like the app, return it and get your money back! :dinosmile: I am an honest developer, and I don't mind giving refunds where they are due.

@TNCollector

Thanks for making this happen! I’m gonna get it as soon as I can (when it comes out). 

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived